Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Custom Field into Dimension

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
799 Views, 1 Reply

Insert Custom Field into Dimension

I have a sheet set that is a standard shop package, which does not change from project to project save for a few minor details. I made custom fields in the sheet set properties to account for all the details that might change (job number, quantities, etc.) so all I would have to do is edit the properties once and print out the shop package without even having to open a single drawing.

However, there's one item I'm having difficult with: there is a simple rectangular part that varies ever so slightly in length, and I would like to be able to override the text of the linear dimension of that object and insert a field that will contain the exact length that I type into the custom properties. I have already created the custom field and inserted it into the dimension line and deleted the actual measurement, only the field won't update properly and displays "####". If I double-click to edit the dimension, and right-click to update the field, it updates temporarily, but then as soon as I exit the editing command, the #### reappears. 

I have tried text only, numbers only, and a combo. I have tried save, close, re-open. I've tried regen. I've inserted other fields (formula, time & date) and they work properly with no issues. I created an mtext using the same custom field and it works fine.

As a last resort I would probably just explode the dimension and position the functioning mtext in place of the dimension text, but I would really like to know what I'm doing wrong here. Help!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Solved the issue myself... seems a brain fart was the issue. Trying to accomplish sheet set related things via model space. Moved object to layout and works as it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report