Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to rotate model space view in Autocad LT without ViewCube?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
danniAEN7L
1142 Views, 9 Replies

How to rotate model space view in Autocad LT without ViewCube?

Hi All,

As an interior designer, I draw a floor plan and then using construction lines, draw 2D elevations off in a North/South/East/West around the plan, like a 'pinwheel' as others have described it.

In Autocad, I use the arrows on the View Cube to rotate the model space view as needed, back and forth.

How do I do this in Autocad LT in model space when there is no View Cube? 

This question has been asked previously but I don't consider the solution as 'solved'. Changing the UCS does not rotate your model space view (inc. the FP/ELs), it only changes your UCS.

It also seems I can rotate the model space view 3D but not in 2D.

Given LT is for 2D drawing, if this functionality is not available, this is disappointing/frustrating and needs addressing.

Thanks,

D

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
P-BvanWyk
in reply to: danniAEN7L

Good day @danniAEN7L,

Have you tried the PLAN command to align your view to the UCS?

Alternatively, you can have a look at the following link.

The view cube is reserved for the full AutoCAD, as you mentioned. If you don't want to use work arounds you will have to purchase the full license.

Please click on Accept Solution to help other community members solve their issues.
Also, consider giving a Like to the comments that you feel added value.

Kind regards,
Pieter-Ben van Wyk
Message 3 of 10
danniAEN7L

Thanks Pieter for your response.

I have read that link and it doesn't provide the solution I am looking for but 'using the Plan Command to align your view to the UCS' does work.  It's tedious compared to simply pressing an arrow, but it works and it's not going to cost me the full licence $$. Thanks so much for putting me (a beginner) on the right track.

For others, I found this tutorial explaining how to use the Plan Command in this context, easy to follow and it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxmXfmxCi4

Command: UCS

Select 2 end points on your SE/EL line

ENTER to lock in new UCS.

Command: PLAN

Space

Space

Thanks again 🙂

I really hope the LT developers look at a viewcube or something similar to rotate with one click.

Message 4 of 10
cadffm

You can save input sequences as a macro to make your work easier, if all steps can be done via the keyboard (except dialog boxes).

[F1]

Command: UCS<enter>

Select 2 end points on your SE/EL line

ENTER to lock in new UCS.

Command: PLAN<enter>

Space<enter>

Space<enter>

^C stand for [ESC] (good to cancel running commands in front of your Macro)

; stand for <Enter>

\ stand for ONE User-input

[F1]

Your worksteps translated:

^C^C^CUCS;\\;PLAN;;

How to use it? One possible way is to create a Command-Tool in your Toolpalette [CTRL]+[3]

<How to create a command tool* in toolpalettes> (*this "command" you dragged is not linked with the source, so you can't damage anything by editing the command tool in your toolpalette)

Sebastian

Message 5 of 10
vladimir_michl

You can use 3DOrbit (kind of) to navigate in 3D even in AutoCAD LT with shift+mousewheel - this is how to do it:

https://www.cadforum.cz/en/did-you-know-that-you-can-use-3d-orbit-also-in-autocad-lt-tip13466

Vladimir Michl, www.arkance-systems.cz  -  www.cadforum.cz

Message 6 of 10
pendean
in reply to: vladimir_michl

@vladimir_michl Nice tip and video, thanks for sharing. It does not seem to work in LT2023.1.2 for me though in a quick test.

Message 7 of 10
vladimir_michl
in reply to: pendean

I was curious if Autodesk has killed it in the update. But no, it still works for me in LT 2023.1.2 - both the visual mode and navswheel are important, maybe also the mouse type (but the wheel should behave in a pretty standard way).

Vladimir Michl, www.arkance-systems.cz  -  www.cadforum.cz

Message 8 of 10
pendean
in reply to: vladimir_michl

Thanks, I will test again, I may have missed a step.

Message 9 of 10
danniAEN7L
in reply to: cadffm

Ah thanks!  I'm a beginner but I'll test it out. 🙂

Message 10 of 10
danniAEN7L

For other ID's that use this type of layout, I've also discovered you can simply grab and rotate the UCS (or select it/right click/rotate/x axis), hover your mouse over the UCS to rotate it, then PLAN command, to line view up with CURRENT USC and the view rotates (2D). 

It's starting to feel less complicated. 

Thanks everyone for assistance, much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report