Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help displaying XYZ on multi points

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
1943 Views, 17 Replies

Help displaying XYZ on multi points

As per my other thread (I seem to have posted it in the wrong autocad section). 

I'm trying to display the XYZ information for multiple points using a process that doesn't take me all year.

You'll see below is the survey that I am trying to annotate. The file is a .dxf from my Leica totalstation. The file in question is attached to the thread.

Capture1.JPG

What I'm trying to achieve is this... I processed the information below by ID'ing a single point and then copying the values from the command bar, then finally pasting the values into text attached at an offset to the point. Very time consuming.

Capture2.JPG

What can I do to make this easier? In a perfect world I would like to highlight all the points and wave the magic wand and see all the points labled up with XYZ!

HELP.

Kind regards,

Ben.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

AutoCAD and LT do has an automated tool to do what you want. Perhaps you need Civil3D or MAP3D versions of AutoCAD for automation.

The month-long process 🙂 is to assign a FIELD to each point.

Have you inquired with the Leica support folks if they have a tool that can export their points to an Excel spreadsheet (or comma-delimited file) that can also contain location labels? Some sort of "Point #, Elevation and description" output file from the device is probably what you need.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Sorry, but I wasn't sure if you meant that there is or isn't an automated tool? 

I can't really afford to buy another autocad package so I'm really hoping this could be done somehow...

I can import my survey as a .CSV file rather than .DXF if that would help me? The whole purpose is to visualise my survey points and overlay the layer onto a drawing from my architect. 

Message 4 of 18
steven-g

If the data is in csv format your easiest solution would be to use excel to help draw the data in Autocad, without knowing the full story I would suggest using the data in excel to create a script that will place blocks in your drawing that have attributes for the X,Y & Z values. If you need points in there for any further work then you will have to decide if the points are included inside the block or inserted separately. Can you post a csv file, it will be better to explain using actual data that you have. You could get the points out to excel but thats a bit more complicated than bringing them in, as LT doesn'y have the data extract option.

If it's a one off situation then just placing an attributed block on each point would be the most sensible us eof your time.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

That sounds great, sounds to me like you're onto something here!

I've attached a .csv along with a .txt and the latest .dxf for you to mess about with. Happy to compensate you for your trouble if you can come up with something handy?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Ben.

Message 6 of 18
steven-g

I opened the csv file in excel and added 2 blank lines at the start of the list, you can see what has been added to column B, it's just a simple formula to create a string that inserts a block at the right scale and then repeats the insert command. The last cell has the last 2 spaces missing from the end of the formula !! The attached drawing has a copy of the block used it needs to be in the drawing for the script to work. In excel just select all the cells colored yellow and press Ctrl+C to copy the cells to the clipboard. Then in Autocad you need to click into the command line to make it active and then just press Ctrl+V to paste the clipboard contents to the command line. That's it.

Message 7 of 18
bob_mpc

Probably automating the task using excel macros is possible.

The easiest (but not fastest) solution is - a block with preset attributes, just paste it with NODE osnap on each point

Boris
AutoCad LT 2021.1.1
Message 8 of 18
bob_mpc

The solution of STEVEN-G is perfect!

Boris
AutoCad LT 2021.1.1
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: bob_mpc

Steven-G you are a LEGEND!!!

You've made it so easy for me! I can't thanks you enough. Well impressed.

Just on the off chance this isn't too taxing, is there a way of editing the attributes of all the points and texts once i've inserted them? Changeing the text height, colour, offset and I wonder, to say ENZ rather than XYZ?

Here's a screen grab of your hard work already put into action on a pile survey. Loveing it!

Capture3.JPG

Message 10 of 18
steven-g

When altering attributes you usually have to use the ATTSYNC command afterwards and follow the command prompts. It does very occasionally throw up errors but that is rare (just be aware it can happen so check things afterwards) And yes you can alter the labels, open the block in the block editor and double click on the attributes, you can changes the letters in the default box (the first 2 characters - don't delete the grey characters at the right, they are field values that read the coordinates). I would save a copy of the block somewhere in another drawing first just in case.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

I seem to be a little lost following you on this one...

Capture4.JPGCapture5.JPG

I dont quite understand what I'm actually trying to do with attsync? I don't understand what it is asking by block level? Either way, it eventually tells me it is complete, but I don't understand what is complete? Nothing changes so far as I can tell... As for the block editor, I think I need to go back to school ha! I haven't a clue how to do what I want....

I did however edit the source block to look how I would like, however after I add in the excel bits they take on the original look? Properly confused. ha.Capture8.JPG

Feel free to tell me to jump off a cliff and give up if I'm a no hoper. 

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

Just to add, I am looking online at help files too, I'm not consciously putting the burden on you!
Message 13 of 18
steven-g

Just in case you're sitting there banging your head on the desk, I have just seen your post, and I'm taking a look to see what the problem might be. I finished work a couple of hours ago so only just checked back in. Don't worry we'll get it sorted, can you post a drawing with the altered block just so I can see what is going on there in the drawing

Message 14 of 18
steven-g

OK do you remember when I said problems with attsync are rare, well today is your lucky day. It looks like it isn't enough to just change the default value of the attribute you need to change the tag name as well.

OK so a bit better explanation on my part.

Open the block with the block editor and double click on one of the attributes (start with "X") that should open the "Edit Attribution Definiton" dialogue box, you should make the changes there, it only needs you to change the letter X to E in both the Tag and Default boxes, and click ok then select the Y attribute and change Y to N. After doing that exit the block editor saving any changes. Back in the drawing start the attsync command and at the first prompt choose select, then click on any of the blocks to select one, and then choose yes to finish the command. That should do it, you may need to do a regen as well.

Thats the basics of it. Are you wanting to alter anything else as well, you mention about adding in some excel bits ? If you want to alter the text style it might be better doing that in the "Format - Text Style" dialogue the style I used is called 1:1. I had used a scale in the insert script of 0.01 and you can adjust the size of the block in the properties toolpalette by selecting all the blocks and changing the scale. Or open the block editor and just change the text style to something else, by selecting the 3 attributes and make the change again in the properties toolpalette. There are other ways of making the changes as well. See if you can get the blocks to update correctly first when you alter the letters. And if you have ANY problems or further questions then I'll be happy to answer, It could be tommorrow though (I'm in Europe so it's getting close to bedtime).

I hope this helps get the problem sorted.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Firstly, sorry it's taken me so long to reply! 

However, as you can see....Capture3.JPG

It worked!

The only thing i'm having a small problem with is editing the text, which is weird seeing as it's something I generally find super easy. Specifically what I'm trying to achieve is removing the dark grey backing to the text, but really for my own knowledge I'm aiming to learn how to edit the text style too...

I've tried....

Capture9.JPGCapture8.JPGCapture7.JPG

Unfortunetly I'm still the weakest link here haha.

SO nearly there though. SO very nearly there.

Thanks a million for all the effort you've put in mate!!

Message 16 of 18
steven-g

That background is because that part of the text is actually a field (it's a sort of visual warning/reminder that a field is present), it can be turned off with the variable fielddisplay=0. I should add that the background is only visible in the drawing, it doesn't show up when you plot a drawing. Other than that you where in the right place for altering the text style.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

HOW DO YOU KNOW SO MUCH!?

That worked a treat, though you probably already know that seeing as you are magic.

What is your line of work if you don't mind me asking?

Message 18 of 18
steven-g

I've been using Autocad for a while ! and I like figuring out how to do things quicker, which means I am always looking at different things. I work in a joiners shop, drawing office, mostly cabinet work and doorsets.

I find the best way to learn, is doing stuff like this, answering questions that are just a bit off the track from you're normal daily work, it's a great way to pick up tricks and look at things from another point of view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators