Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor moving in a grid pattern

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
Anonymous
264902 Views, 49 Replies

Cursor moving in a grid pattern

Can someone please help me with this problem?

As I move my cursor around my drawing, rather than moving smoothly, it jumps in 1/2" increments (architectural). This means I am unable to place it over certain objects that aren't located on one of those spots on the 1/2" grid. If I zoom in pretty close on an object and move my cursor, it jumps right out of my screen.

Help please!
49 REPLIES 49
Message 21 of 50
hsarchitype1
in reply to: rkmcswain

The post in green from 'jessiesappington' below solved the same issue for me.  TOOLS/DRAFTING SETTINGS/SNAP X SETTINGS' set to 1/32".  Mine somehow got set to 1" (same as 'GRID SPACE').  I have not yet taken the time to fix this globally for all drawings.

Message 22 of 50

That would be fine if I asked it to do that.  But I opened a file and it was jumping around.  It is NOT taught on day one of autocad.  At least not at UCLA.

And do say that autoCAD is not an iPhone-type software is the understatement of the century.  It is the clunkiest software I've encountered.  Every day I have to use it, is a day that is sure to be filled with misery.  

Why do professionals put up with it?

Message 23 of 50

Judging by how often your exact question is asked around here, I suspect it was indeed taught at UCLA on some early day discussing F-keys at the very least but you never used it and still do not so you basically forgot all about it. It happens, none of us can remember everything every day or every software package.

Also don't forget that plain AUtoCAD/LT is not made for just your industry or method of working, it is a universal cad platform made for everyone else first. GRID and SNAP has their place, just because you cannot use them doesn't mean they don't belong in there for someone else.

>>>... It is the clunkiest software I've encountered...<<<<
Inadequate training and/or inefficient workflows most likely. But if it is the wrong software for your needs its time or you to change that reality. No one answering your post works or Autodesk, we are all working stiffs and customers who stopped fighting the program and developed good workflows.

Now you know: learn from it like the professional you want to be.

Good luck.
Message 24 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks a lot

Roopa

Message 25 of 50

Grid snap variable is saved in the drawing and not in your computers registry for autocad. So if someone uses grid snap and has it on and sends you that drawing it will have grid snap on when you open it even if you never turned it on before. I assume it is that way to let a new person opening a drawing for the first time that the last person set the drawing up using grid snap. That could actually save you time and work if it is set up that way and can be used in the drawing, if not taking the 1 second to shut it off shouldn't cause you much lost work time. 

It's a complicated software because it is a general software that everyone uses differently. You can memorize a websters dictionary size book about autocad and you would only know 5% of what you can actually do with the program if even that much. Comparing how smooth an iphone works to autocad isn't apples to apples. It's like comparing a paper model of an F15 to an actual F15 and being mad that the real F15 doesn't fly as easily as your paper airplane does. 

Most colleges can't teach everything about cad because there is just too much. Your professor probably never needed to use grid snap so they didn't teach it.  I learned more in my first 2 weeks of an internship than I learned in my entire time in college about how to use autocad. I was first in my class so it wasn't like I just wasn't listening in class.

Yes I agree it can be a frustrating software.  However this is a user based forum, so you are only complaining to other users and not to autodesk. Those users are here to try and help you figure your problems out, not to hear you complain about them on their personal time. Just be glad that this forum exists and there are many many users that can help you figure out the software on their free time for free. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 26 of 50
Anonymous

There is no setting in Autocad to fix this issue.

The only way to fix it, is to save the file as DXF 2000 format, open it, and save it down to DWG. 

The cursor snap will then be repaired.

Message 27 of 50
Anonymous

if F9 not work i solve problem by this;

probably you try to work on an old dwg file, and your normal daily works didnt have this issue. Then try this.

- open a new blank dwg file then put it down

- open the old dwg file which it has the problem , then copy all drawings to the new blank dwg file with ctrl+a, ctrl+c and then ctrl+v (into new blank file)

- then continue to working on project by new file.

i hope its works for you too

-problem details; i think old dwg file which caused the problem has been saved with snap on mode and when we open that old file in a new autocad its been some glitch and snap settings dont change even we change it.

Message 28 of 50
Anonymous

Another thing to check is in the Object Snap Settings.  Under the Snap and Grid tab, change snap type to Polar.

Message 29 of 50
Anonymous

Matthew - thank you so much for this old post - I appreciate it so much.  Really got me out of a bind today.  

Message 30 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: jessiesappington

OMG thank you soo much! I have been struggling with this for ages!!!!

@jessiesappington wrote:

I was having this same problem and all the answers given were not working. However, I was able to figure out a solution: go to object snap settings, in the snap and grid tab revise the Snap Spacing to be 1/32" or your desired spacing. I do not know what makes this change on its own but mine somehow changed itself to be 1/2" spacing. I hope this helps!

Message 31 of 50
Anonymous

That's great, but can you offer a solution?

Message 32 of 50
Anonymous

I found that setting snap to Ortho in Snap and Grid Settings fixes this.

Message 33 of 50
Anonymous

Thanks but I couldn’t find these settings - I found resetting the move tool
stopped the jumping to the grid.

Modify > transformational tools > move tool > reset tool
Message 34 of 50
Anonymous

What version of CAD?

If you can't see the attached pics...

Press Shift and Right Click. Then select Osnap settings. Then go to Snap and Grid tab. Then select Polar Snap at bottom

[cid:image004.jpg@01D52CF1.622B8F20]

Then go to Osnap settings > Snap and Grid >

[cid:image003.png@01D52CF1.5C41E320]
Message 35 of 50
Anonymous

F9

Message 36 of 50
rkmcswain

@Anonymous - that was answered 11 years ago in the first reply.

Just curious, were you not able to see this on whatever device you are viewing this?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 37 of 50
nshriramFY2ES

Type OSNAP then Enter-->Drafting settings Snap and Grid Tab --->Uncheck Snap On (F9). Should fix the issue.

Message 38 of 50
Anonymous

You seem like you would be fun at parties...

Message 39 of 50
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:

You seem like you would be fun at parties...

A BLAST

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 40 of 50
virginia.fry.design

People are reporting that happening after VERIFYING SNAP IS OFF!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report