Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk DWG launcher not working after upgrade 2019=>2020

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
hannesschlaeger
12355 Views, 21 Replies

Autodesk DWG launcher not working after upgrade 2019=>2020

After changing from 2019 to 2020 the launcher didn't work and I couldn't find a good explanation on this piece of software and how it can be set up. 

As workaround I can assign the LT application directly to the dwg files, but this is not the recommended solution.

Is there any documentation on this launcher?

Roman
Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Hi i had the same issue between 2018 and 2019...

To associate DWG files with the AutoCAD DWG Launcher:

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click a DWG file and choose Open With > Choose default program.
  2. In the window, select "AutoCAD DWG Launcher."
  3. Select the checkbox for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file."
  4. Click OK.

The drawing file should open in AutoCAD at this point.

In order to change the default AutoCAD program that opens DWG files, exit any currently running AutoCAD product and launch the desired one. Shortcuts can be created on the desktop for different AutoCAD versions. Drag and dropping a DWG file onto the shortcut will open it in that version of AutoCAD.

I hope this helps 🙂

Message 3 of 22

My problem is something different: The launcher just doesn't start anything - it is a dead end.

Roman
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 22
pendean
in reply to: hannesschlaeger

DWG LAUNCHER is not an application.

AutocAd/LT2020 is an application: can yous start this program, hen use OPEN command to successfully access DWG files? Have you done that part yet?
Do you still have 2019 installed?

Message 5 of 22
hannesschlaeger
in reply to: pendean

Everythings is working fine, only the launcher (no matter if you call it an application or not) is not working. When I set up the dwg files to use the launcher it just does nothing. If I link it to Autocad LT whatever version it works. Starting Autocad and opening files also works. It is just the launcher that is not launching anything.

Roman
Tags (2)
Message 6 of 22
pendean

The only true fix is to reformat your PC and start over if removing all Autodesk software from your PC the log and hard way is too much to bear https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Recommen...

Message 7 of 22

@hannesschlaeger 

Look at the following link:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/simplecontent/content/how-to-mod...

Open the registry editor and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\DwgCommon\shellex\apps\{F29F85E0-4FF9-1068-AB91-08002B27B3D9}:AutoCAD.

I The target is to change the year label (highlighted in yellow) to 2020.

Run regedit, and when you get to have the registry editor looking as shown in the link, on the right pane, right clcik "OpenLaunch", modify, and change the year number to 2020. Repeat for "PrintLaunch".

That is what I did to fix it in the computers in our office.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 22

I had the same problem and saw this solution but the problem is when I enter the registry editor I can't find 

the OpenLaunch Button. please helpCapture.PNG

Message 9 of 22

@caline.elkhoury 

The .1 update did not fix it? If not, I would do the following:

Right click on the right pane and select new/then "String Value". Type the name ex: PrintLaunch then enter.

Select it, right click/modify then type on value data: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2020\acad.exe" /print "%1"

Do the same for the other missing items from the link.

I hope it works, I don't have much experience with the windows registry.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 22

You can add the missing key manually, i added an screenshot from an installation on a fresh pc. It should look something like this.

Annotation 2019-11-15 111018.png

Message 11 of 22

I am having the same problem Caline has where the open and print strings are not in the registry. I've tried to manually add them as Ewoud suggested without success. Already did a clean uninstall of all Autodesk related files and reinstalled the new AutoCAD 2020 multiple times now. Opening .dwg files with the DWG Launcher still does absolutely nothing.... Open to any suggestions.

Message 12 of 22

Log into your PC as an all new user with full admin rights: does the problem go away?

Message 13 of 22

Come on now..... Why did that work!!?!? Does this help get closer to keeping my account instead of having to use a new one?

Message 14 of 22

It means your original Windows log-in on this PC is hosed sadly. Your IT folks may have an idea how to rebuild it or you can use the new one.

Message 15 of 22

Sounds like I will be changing to the new account! Thank you for the advise. I'd mark your answer as the solution but I don't see how?

Message 16 of 22

The problem with piggybacking on someone else's post is you can't mark a post as being the answer, you have to have started the thread to do that.

Message 17 of 22
a01748613
in reply to: bfondevila

you are the best, it worked for me, i recommend it, seems freigtening at the begenning but its really easy

Message 18 of 22
tieusuhuynh

Thanks, I tried and succeeded.

Message 19 of 22
Nico-chiozza

THANKS

Message 20 of 22
PrawiraV

I know this is years after, but I found another work around without having to create a new account.
I install and launch DWG TrueView from here Where to download previous versions of DWG TrueView 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost