Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autocad lt - templates

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mary.mimnaugh
793 Views, 8 Replies

autocad lt - templates

I have all of my settings in a template that is stored on my desktop.  I use this when i open a new file.  I havent had any problems with it.  Also went I wanted to change my settings in my template I have been able to access the dwt file.  Now though when I go to acess   it from the new button it doesnt open as a dwt file even when I set the file extension. I dont know why this is.  Can someone explain.  I have Autocad LT 2012.  Thank you

Mary M.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

You have to open this as a DWT to be able to manipulate the DWT.

If you use QNEW to start a new file it will open as a DWG file not the DWT

Right click the file from the Desktop and choose Open to revise the DWT.

The same is also true if you want to open an MS Template.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 9

I right click on the file from the desktop and it opened in autocad as a dwg file.

Mary M.
Message 4 of 9
pendean
in reply to: mary.mimnaugh

You can open a DWT, but when you save it defaults back to DWG: T is for Template, it's not a Template if you can save and write over it.

If your intent is to edit the DWT file, then change the extension in Windows Explorer to DWG, edit the file then save it, quit AutoCAD, and don't forget to rename the extension back to DWT.

Message 5 of 9

When I change the extension in windows explorer to dwg my file does not show up

Mary M.
Message 6 of 9
drjohn

Open ACAD ... select the OPEN from the file menu .... in the dialogue that opens in the Files of Type field change the type to DWT and it should open a directory of your templates that you can edit and save as a DWT (template) file.

Be aware that after you do this, the next time you try and open an acad drawing it will still be set at DWT and you will need to change the Files of Type back to DWG.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 7 of 9
pendean

does not show up? did you forget to set Windows Explorer to show file extensions before changing it, or did you change the file name to DWT instead?

Message 8 of 9
mary.mimnaugh
in reply to: drjohn

That is how I always opened it. Now for some reason it opens from there as a dwg drawing even after I set the file type as a dwt drawing. This is the problem and I don't know why it is doing this.
Mary M.
Message 9 of 9

So, if you have it turned on, at the top of the AutoCAD window you see the File name xxxxxx.DWG and not xxxxx.DWT being displayed?

ScreenShot.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report