Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Lt 2016 Ribbon panel Issues

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
FeeopEngr
699 Views, 14 Replies

Autocad Lt 2016 Ribbon panel Issues

Win 7 64

So can someone tell me what is WRONG with this product.

Here are just some of the issues I am having (and yes, I have been through the reinstall twice)

1. No properties pallet available on startup, eventhough the ribbon says it is on.(Works after restart)

2. No layer pallet when clicking the ribbon button. Only the layer pop up menu. (requires a restart)

3. Layer filters not working. Click on any one of them and Nothing happens (requires a restart)

4. No x-Ref pallet available when clicking the ribbon button. (requires a restart).

Now these don't all happen at the same time, so throughout the day, I may have to restart the program 6-7 times, which is totally rediculous.

Please help.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Feeop
Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
john.vellek
in reply to: FeeopEngr

HI @FeeopEngr,

This is indeed unusual menu behavior. I assume by "Pallettes" you mean Ribbon panels and the floating Properties palette and Layer palette.

Have you tried logging onto the workstation as a different user to see if the problem still exists?

Also, have you tried saving a new workspace that does not save changes?

Capture.PNG

Please also tell me if there is any action that seems to trigger the issue?

I look forward to working through the problem with you.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 15
john.vellek

Hi FeeopEngr

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 15
FeeopEngr

Hi John

First off, I've attached a typical file that I use daily.

A point to note is that I use my palettes docked and minimized (Properties, Tools and some times layer manager, although the later is usually closed)

Here is what is happening:

1. When starting the program, the properties palette (which should be docked) is no where to be seen. The view/ribbon button is selected indicating the palette is open, but it is not visible anywhere. This also happens when I try to start a new dwg from a template off the start screen. (requies a full CAD restart).

2. Sometimes when I open a file, the top 3" of my workspace (between the ribbon and main drawings area) becomes inactive space (and a duplicate of the open drawing) showing all three of the window buttons at the top right, as well as partial images of the palettes I have open. (requires a full CAD restart)

3. When I close a file but keep CAD open, the start screen becomes inactive. Meaning you cannot select anything on the screen. (Requires a full CAD restart).

4. For some reason, annotative blocks lose their annotative property. One minute it all works fine, the next the annotative property (from within the block editor) is set to NO.

5. When exiting the block editor from within a viewport (and sometimes for just no reason).

a. Layer manager freezes and will not allow any filter changes or selection of any layers (have to close the layer manager and reopen it)

Hopefully, this will provide some insight as to the problems I am having.

As an example, here's how my day usually starts (over the past two weeks). (Keep in mind, I can switch drawings 2 dozen times a day and have to deal with one or more of these issues every time):

Start CAD

open file

check view/ribbon for properties palette (selected but not visible) 

close CAD

start CAD

open file

check view/ribbon for properties palette (not selected)

select properties palette (palette shows up docked and minimized - as it should be)

do some work

open a second drawing

do some work

close second drawing

change layer filter on first dwg (cannot access any layer options)

close layer manager

open layer manager

change layer filter (ok)

do some work

close dwg to start a new dwg

start screen freezes

close CAD

Open CAD

open dwg

check ribbon for properties palette (selected but not visible)

close CAD

open CAD

open dwg

etc, etc, etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Feeop
Message 5 of 15
john.vellek

Good morning FeeopEngr,

I was unable to reproduce ANY of the errors you are experiencing. Your drawing appears to be pretty clean and well organized.

So, that confirms that it is not the drawing that is at issue.

You indicated that you have reinstalled this product twice. So, lets take another re-install as a last step to resolve your problems.

Can you logon to the workstation as a different user and with full administrative permissions? If so, do the problems present? If so, then we need to investigate possible problems with your system, hardware and such.

Can you also take a look in the WIndows Event Viewer and see if there are errors that correspond to these issues?

Let's also (before doing a re-install) verify that your OS is totally patched and updated including all applicable Optional Updates.

Please post your results here in this thread.

Thank you for your patience!

John Vellek

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

@FeeopEngr wrote:

Hi John

First off, I've attached a typical file that I use daily.

A point to note is that I use my palettes docked and minimized (Properties, Tools and some times layer manager, although the later is usually closed)

Here is what is happening:

1. When starting the program, the properties palette (which should be docked) is no where to be seen. The view/ribbon button is selected indicating the palette is open, but it is not visible anywhere. This also happens when I try to start a new dwg from a template off the start screen. (requies a full CAD restart).

2. Sometimes when I open a file, the top 3" of my workspace (between the ribbon and main drawings area) becomes inactive space (and a duplicate of the open drawing) showing all three of the window buttons at the top right, as well as partial images of the palettes I have open. (requires a full CAD restart)

3. When I close a file but keep CAD open, the start screen becomes inactive. Meaning you cannot select anything on the screen. (Requires a full CAD restart).

4. For some reason, annotative blocks lose their annotative property. One minute it all works fine, the next the annotative property (from within the block editor) is set to NO.

5. When exiting the block editor from within a viewport (and sometimes for just no reason).

a. Layer manager freezes and will not allow any filter changes or selection of any layers (have to close the layer manager and reopen it)

Hopefully, this will provide some insight as to the problems I am having.

As an example, here's how my day usually starts (over the past two weeks). (Keep in mind, I can switch drawings 2 dozen times a day and have to deal with one or more of these issues every time):

Start CAD

open file

check view/ribbon for properties palette (selected but not visible) 

close CAD

start CAD

open file

check view/ribbon for properties palette (not selected)

select properties palette (palette shows up docked and minimized - as it should be)

do some work

open a second drawing

do some work

close second drawing

change layer filter on first dwg (cannot access any layer options)

close layer manager

open layer manager

change layer filter (ok)

do some work

close dwg to start a new dwg

start screen freezes

close CAD

Open CAD

open dwg

check ribbon for properties palette (selected but not visible)

close CAD

open CAD

open dwg

etc, etc, etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is your screen resolution set above 2,000 in either direction?  Video card driver up to date?  Supported Video Card?

Message 7 of 15
FeeopEngr

Any chance this is caused by the graphics card? I already have hardware acceleration turned off. ATI Radeon HD 5450
Feeop
Message 8 of 15
john.vellek

Hello @FeeopEngr,

I am curious if you had time to perform a reset or to check your event viewer for errors. I would like to resolve this issue for you.

I did check on the Recommended/Certified list for your graphics card and it is not listed. I suggest you try disabling all the features and see if you can duplicate the problem. If not, try turning each one on and re-test.

Please post your results

John Vellek

Message 9 of 15
FeeopEngr
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John

I've done about all I can think of at the moment. Reinstall, had another user sign in, etc, but got all the same results.

I have no idea what else to try.

Feeop
Message 10 of 15
john.vellek

Good morning @FeeopEngr,

This has been painful for you I am sure. I feel that since this is so disruptive, that a clean install of the Operating System and applications is likely the next step. Here is a link about customizing your palettes but I am not convinced that this will help very much. It sounds like some registry keys are likely invalid and that the CUI files might be damaged in some fashion.

When you installed, did you migrate any old settings? If you are able to rebuild the workstation, lets not migrate anything to see if everything works as-is. I also assume that you are logging on with Administrator permissions. Is the UAC turned off?

Please let me know if this process is something you can undertake to resolve the problem.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 15
FeeopEngr
in reply to: john.vellek

Unfortunately this PC is on a company network (and time is money) which I have no real control of, so I guess I'll have to wait till 2017 comes out and hope for the best.
Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Feeop
Message 12 of 15
pendean

2017 is out but it's not going to solve a system level problem that appears you already have in place.
Message 13 of 15
FeeopEngr

So, I've been through everything with our IT guys and they have seen the issues I am having, but have no answers.

So the next step is to turn this post into a support request and have Autodesk Tech support remote into this machine and see if they can figure it out.

How do I do that?

Feeop
Message 14 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @FeeopEngr,

Here is a link to Customer Support.

If you have tried logging in as a new user and that does not fix the problem and a reinstall die not either, then a rebuild of the workstation is likely to be the next step.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 15
pendean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report