Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2004 - Editing line length

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
91704 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2004 - Editing line length

I have drawn an oblique line in Model Space and wish to reduce it to a particular length. I have opened the line properties menu and find that the length is greyed out. Can someone please tell me how to make this box active so that I can edit it? Thank you.

Bill A

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Editing line length ]

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You could STRETCH one of the endpoints to bring it to the correct length. Or use the LENGTHEN command to lengthen/shorten the line.

The line is defined by its two endpoints. A length can be calculated from that. If you changed the length, you'd have to move one or both of the endpoints, and how can the computer do that without knowing which one you want to move? Thus, the box is grayed out.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply. No doubt what you have said will work, but I expected such a basic requirement to be a simple one step operation in this program however it appears this is not the case.
I also use another CAD program and to reduce line length I simply select the line properties and enter the new length required. The line length is then reduced automatically using the start point from which the line was drawn as the datum
I think it would help me if I knew the key strokes you are using to perform this operation. Ideally I would like to be able to key in the precise new length with dynamic input or using the line preperties menu. Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Bill A
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

For the STRETCH and LENGTHEN commands? They're not hard. Look them up in Help.

When you draw the line the first time, you can pick your start point, then direct the mouse in the direction the line goes, then enter its length (20, for example), and then spacebar or enter. Again, this is simple stuff. If you're not very experienced with LT, you might want to look up some tutorials or books or something.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Not to be picky, but the other CAD program may actually be hindering your work. The "lines" we work with are acually just segments. They are defined and controlled by two points. Additionally a midpoint is added for our convenience. This is very generic, not restraining the creation, use or editing of the line.

To define and edit lines from their "first" point actually limits your ability (at least mentally) to change the line to that point. I believe that once you get the hang of the AutoCAD commands that will help with line length (offset, trim, extend, stretch, scale, etc.) your horizons will expand tremendously. The ability to see a line from both ends and as a simple connection from one pont to another (rather than an object with a beginning and end) helps you see your work from a more "global" perspective.

Don't give up on AutoCAD because of habits formed using other software.

jeff <><
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Jeff

Many thank for your encouraging words. It is so good to have a forum such as this where one can find help.
The line concept in AutoCAD is obviously different. It might be better than the competition, however I am open to being convinced about that. I was setting out a site from a surveyor's note book measurements (pencil and paper) and trying to get them to work. The site was irregular in shape and I was trying to fix particular measurement points using line lengths and intersecting arcs. A method which works very easily using TurboCAD (Prof V11)which enables you to change the line length easily using the properties menu.
However to familiarise myself more with AC, I repeated the operation using arcs and the radius dimensioning tool and succeeded. Thanks Again

Bill <><
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Right-On, Bill,

Keep up the good work. AutoCAD is decidely different from some other programs. Whiile this does not mean better in every sense of the word, I believe you will find it to be delightfully capable once you learn a little more.

Enjoy,
jeff <><
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

I have a similar situation. Before in AutoCAD 2013, If i watned to change the length of a line segment I would simply select one end of the line, move the cursor in the direction I wanted (wether it be to lenghten the line or shorten the line), enter a distance vaIue and it would change the line according to that value.

Now, we recently upgraded to AutoCad 2015 and with this program that is no longer the case. If i click one end of the line segment and move the cursor in the desired direction, like before, and enter a distance value, the line segment becomes that length instead of changing the length.

Example: I have a line segment that is 100'-0" long. I want to increase length by 6". So I pick on end and move cursor accordingly, I enter the value 6" and the line now becomes 6" long.

I could use the lengthen or stretch commands, but to me the "click, drag, and enter distance" works faster.

A co-worker of mine had already fixed this problem for me by changing the value for a certain system variable. He doesn't remember and I don't remember which one it was? Could any one help?

Message 9 of 11
pendean
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

To enter new length without calculating the difference:

1. Select the line

2. Click the end that you want to move

3. Press Tab to go to the length field

4. Enter the new length (not the difference)

5. Press Enter

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 11
Eatonasher

Good point about habits formed on other software. I orgincally learned on Autocad 2000, but then went the engineering route and thus use Fusion 360 and Solidworks now (which I loathe). Knowing where your points are before you draw your lines is great and all, but now there are ways to draw walls automatically like in Architecture 2022, I wonder why we still have to delete/redraw entire walls when we figure out we need to move something 1/2" or to make a gap equal to 6 1/4" versus 6"? I think this is what the OP was getting at by saying they don't understand why such a program has the ability to change dimension values.

Do you know if there is a way to accomplish this so that the dimensioning style is similar to that of, say, Autodesk Inventor? It would make drawing sections and sketch blocks much easier, and would allow for quick design changes when large, complex models/drawings are needed!

Thanks in advance

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report