Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad DWG Launcher 'linking' to wrong version

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
Anonymous
73958 Views, 43 Replies

Autocad DWG Launcher 'linking' to wrong version

So, I have searched the forums and found similar queries but mine seems a bit different...

I had the trial version of Autocad 2015 (Full version), decided to buy LT, so uninstalled the trial version and downloaded LT 2015.

When trying to open DWG's from explorer the default application is set to Autocad DWG Launcher which is found in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcShellEx". However, when I try to open files from explorer I get this warning message: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\acad.exe'

I think this is the problem, I have the correct application set to open DWG's but that application is looking for a version that is no longer installed on my machine. Can I set Autocad DWG Launcher to look for the correct version (LT 2015)? I have tried repair and a reinstall to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
hwalker
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Forums

The Autocad Shell Launcher always remembers the last Autocad program which opened a file. I have this problem as well. If I have opened a drawing in DWGviewer and then double click a drawing in Windows to open it, it will open it in DWGviewer.

To get round this open up LT on it's own, then using the FILE, OPEN menu open up a drawing. Now you can close LT and you will find the next time you double click on a drawing it should open it up in LT

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Many thanks for your response.

Unfortuantely this doesn't work, I have been opening and closing drawings using LT for a few days now, and the launcher doesn't seem to be remembering that I have been opening files with LT, it is still looking for Autocad 2015.

Message 4 of 44
hwalker

In Windows, right click on one of the drawings. In the menu that pops up click on PROPERTIES. On the GENERAL tab, what does it say the drawing should open with? If it says DWGLAUNCHER, click on CHANGE and then you can force it to open in LT, or if it says AUTOCAD 2015 change it to DWGLAUNCHER.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks again for your response, hwalker.

I have done this as you say telling DWG's to launch with LT, however, it then opens multiple instances of Autocad which isn't ideal. I just can't understand why the DWG launcher will not 'link' to LT. I even tried deleting the Shell folder in common files and doing a reinstall, but it still wants to open with Autocad 2015! grrr.

I know it is only a minor annoyance, but I often work with multiple drawing files and opening with explorer is just easier than browsing via Autocad.

Thanks, Craig

Message 6 of 44
pendean

DWGLAUNCHER is the chosen app to open DWG files here in Windows 7, but I have full admin controls with my Windows log-in.

If I start LT, it remains the default.
If I start AutoCAD, it remains the default.
If I start the free viewer, it remains the default.

All I have to do is start the 'dwg' program first, then close it and Windows seems to default to it all day long.

What's different at your end?

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

AutoCAD DWG Launcher is my default program for opening dwg's:

Capture1.PNG

But when I double click on a dwg file from windows explorer I get this warning message:

Capture2.PNG

Which seems to indicate that it is looking for the executable file for AutoCAD 2015, which no longer exists on my computer.

Message 8 of 44
pendean

You probably did not remove AutoCAD 2015 completely. if you only have LT on your PC, then get to the same screen I posted. Right-click over a DWG file in Windows Explorer, select OPEN WITH and tell me what all is on offer? As you can see from mine, I have several 'dwg' applications and not just one like you.
Message 9 of 44
Anonymous

It could be that it hasn't uninstalled correctly I suppose. I am tempted to download the trial version again and 're-uninstall' it.

These are the options I have; I'm on Windows 8...

snap 1.png

Message 10 of 44
pendean
Message 11 of 44
klonbeck

cjhworden & pendean,

I was having basically the same probblem. The difference in my situation was that i had just (last week) upgraded from ACADE 2012 to 2014. When I would double click a file to open, I would get the error on the attached image "file error,png". I had found some "solutions" on theh Autodesk website, but they did not solve my problem.

After doing some digging on my computer I found that the probelm was being casued by my registry. See attached registry image file. the first entry in the Apps folder was for ACADE2012 the next entry was for 2014. Since I am no longer running 2012 I deleted that first entry after closing AutoCAD.

Now I can double click to open a drawing file instead of the open command in AutoCAD.

To open the registry (in windows 7) type "regedit" (without the quotes) in the windows start search field and hit enter. this will open the registry.

Hope this helps.

Message 12 of 44
luciboxee
in reply to: klonbeck

Thanks klonbeck,

after the whole story, this is the answer. In my case was from 2015 to 2016 and shellex was still linked to 2015. I didn't had the choice like yours to delete one entry, but I could edit instead the entries to the paths where I saw 2015 to 2016 (given the fact that was similar path).

Now is working perfect, and as the others noticed SDI have to be set to 0.

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: luciboxee

Hi,

I'm experiencing a similar problem. 

I am running Multisuite and had to download Trueviewer 2016 to get it to convert a drawing to Autocad 2010. Now, everytime I open a drawing from windows explorer it opens a new version of Multisuite. I suspect, reading through this, that it would be a case of deleting or correcting registry items, however i am not sure what to look for. Anyone able to offer some advice? 

Thanks, 

Josh

Message 14 of 44
pendean

"...and as the others noticed SDI have to be set to 0."
Message 15 of 44
Anonymous

I have attached a capture of the registry. 

I have messed around with the registry enough now that when I set .dwg files to open with ACLauncher it now doesnt bring up the error. Unfrotunately I didnt change one thing at a time and dont know how i did that! 

Edit: I have managed to find the SDI through Multisuite (see additional file) it is set to 0.

Sorry, for confusion. I'm new to this forum, fiddling with the registry, and my software development knowledge leaves a lot to be desired! 

Thanks again, 

Josh

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous

Obviously I was making little sense yesterday! Having re-read my post I realised it sounds like I fixed it. I havent. 

Multisuite/AutoCAD is still opening a new session for every drawing opened through WE. SDI is set to 0

any recomendations? 

Message 17 of 44
pendean

The 'workaround' to avoid the reality that Autodesk prefers we all use the ACLAUNCHER app is probably outdated. Find the source who provided the original tip and ask them for an updated tip.

This remains the solution as far as Autodesk is concerned:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-general-discussion/autocad-dwg-launcher-linking-to-wrong-ve...

But... MultiSuite may require SDI: look it up: confirm with them https://www.multisuite.com/contact_us.htm
Message 18 of 44
Anonymous

I'm still trying this. You can run the Uninsall Tool of Autodesk. Select the version you want to remove. In my case, I want to remove 2015 and keep 2016.

Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: klonbeck

Yes, work. We update autodesk product suite from 2015 to 2016, and then autocad launcher want to start the autocad 2015, the same error to startup by the explorer. When I saw the registry, had three folder instances in the Shellex/APP: ACADMPP; INVENTOR; and Autocad. This last instance refer to the autocad 2015, then I deleted this one and now works fine! Thanks for all!
Message 20 of 44
cathy
in reply to: luciboxee

I did exactly the same as you but still wont open files from Windows using the CAD launcher. Any ideas? I now have the same files in registry as on your clip.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report