Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zooming or scaling but keeping the drawing 1:1

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
421 Views, 10 Replies

Zooming or scaling but keeping the drawing 1:1

I open up a drawing and the point on the lower corner is 4.2E+09, -1.35E09.  It is a simple 2D piping diagram.  The scale on the drawing is correct.  But if I zoom extents, it zooms way out and I can't see anything.  I tried to search for a stray dot and erase it, but I can't find anything.  How do I proceed? 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Window across the keeping parts, Ctrl Shift C

Then Ctrl+A   Delete

Paste the keeping parts at Origin point.

Message 3 of 11
imadHabash

Hi,

>> But if I zoom extents, it zooms way out and I can't see anything. <<

try by ERASE command , then when asked to select objects type ALL then and now DESELECT your wanted and needed items by press and hold Shift + Left mouse button  to keep it exist . now Zoom >> Extents and see if any changes .  also i want to attract your attention for that Zooming in Model space have NO effect to the scale value in the contrary while you're in layout Viewports  . 

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Kent1Cooper

I'll assume you had all Layers thawed and on and unlocked [and if you just thawed any, do a REGEN to make sure they all come up visible] when looking for a stray.  But given that....

If you're willing to assume that whatever it is, you don't need it, one thing you can do is to ERASE and select ALL and then the Remove option, and Remove from the selection the stuff in the area that you want to keep.

If you Search for related terms, you will find other threads with the same (or nearly) question, and with other suggestions for fixing it.

And by the way, those coordinates are a heck  of a long way -- billions  of drawing units -- from the origin.  That in itself can sometimes be the cause of certain difficulties, so you might try just Moving everything closer to the origin, in case that can help.

[And by the other way, the question seems quite different from the Subject line -- is there some mistake?]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 11
gotphish001

Sometimes a stray dot won't select with a window selection. You can Control+A as suggested and that will select those stray dots. You can then hold shift and window select your drawing to unselect that part that you want to keep then hit delete and delete all the stray stuff.  You might want to zoom into the stray stuff to see what it is first though. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Great advice.  My scale was in the millions, so I scaled to normal and the erase/deselect as you say worked and did the trick.  The only thing is my drawing is at 9.0E+09 on the X-axis.  Not too important to get it to 0,0  but if I wanted to re-position it to 0,0, hows is that done.  No way to manually move it across 1,000,000 units.

Message 7 of 11
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

.... if I wanted to re-position it to 0,0, hows is that done.  No way to manually move it across 1,000,000 units.

I don't see why not -- have you tried it?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

The drawing is millions out from the 0,0 axis.  I don't know how to even find 0,0.  I am lost in space literally.  Is there a command that will re-position my drawing to 0,0?

Message 9 of 11
imadHabash

Hi,

by MOVE command you can move all of your selected objects . 

Command: m MOVE
Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 1 found

Select objects:
Specify base point or [Displacement] <Displacement>:
Specify second point or <use first point as displacement>: 0,0,0

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

The drawing is millions out from the 0,0 axis.  I don't know how to even find 0,0.  I am lost in space literally.  Is there a command that will re-position my drawing to 0,0?

To elaborate a little:

Command:  MOVE

Select objects: ALL
xxx  found

Select objects:  {press Enter to complete selection}

Specify base point or [Displacement] <Displacement>:  {pick point in relation to objects that you want to be at origin}
Specify second point or <use first point as displacement>: 0,0  {that's your second point}

Then ZOOM Extents.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

ok I figured it out. I use the move command, select the whole drawing then select displacement and type in 0,0,0  I

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report