Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREFs - PDFs vs Images with regard to relative and found paths.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
owen66
290 Views, 1 Reply

XREFs - PDFs vs Images with regard to relative and found paths.

I have a network directory for our CAD blocks and a subfolder for references.

D:\CAD\Custom\Blocks

D:\CAD\Custom\Blocks\XREFs

In the XREFs folder I have images and PDFs that end up being references in various blocks, all using relative paths.

(the PDF is in our border file and the images are in a notes block)

When I add the broder block from the palette, the PDF retains its relative path but also has the "Found At" path back to "D:\CAD\Custom\Blocks\XREFs" so teh PDF shows up in my new drawing.

When I do the same with the notes block, the images retain their relative path, but have no "Found At" path and so do not show up.

I know I can embed the images as OLEs and that may be my solution, but I was wondering if there's something different in attached PDFs vs attached images.

"Aah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention...science has it all."
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jrreid
in reply to: owen66

So I did some test to match what I think you have going on.

Drawing1 has Images and a PDF XREFd in.

PDF and (2) images have Relative Pathing and (1) image does not.

(you can do full path now but you don't have too)

jrreid_0-1635852292395.png

In my Drawing2 (2) Images show and the (1) PDF that use Relative.

But the (1) Image I did not use Relative Pathing is not found.

You must always use Relative if you are xref'ing in from other folders that are not in the direct folder your cad file is.

For CAD files being used the same way I always use Relative and Attached option in the Blocks directory, lets say Box1.  Box 1 has (3) CAD files Xref'd inside that have been put in using Relative and Attached option. When I xref Box1 into my Drawing from anywhere, all (3) Cad file will show up. Without using Attached they would not show.

Hope this helps.

JRR.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

AutoCAD Inside the Factory