Did you mean: 

Xref won't bind

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
thisispreston
23676 Views, 6 Replies

Xref won't bind

So I'm trying to bind some drawings and a couple of them are giving me a bit of grief.....

When I try to bind some of them I get the following error:

Error: At least one of the specified xrefs failed to bind for an unknown reason.

Which is arguably the most useless error message of all time, it might as well not give me a message at all.

Does anyone know what causes this error? And how to get round it so I can actually bind these drawings!

Also when I do try to bind, which ever space I'm looking at, the xref is not longer visible but still will be if I switch to the other space. So if I'm in paper it will disappear but then go to model and it's still visible, and vice versa. In fact, I can keep switching back and forth and make it visible/not visible just by trying to bind it.

Tom

-----------------------------------------------
"music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
3wood
in reply to: thisispreston

You can try AUDIT every xrefs and fix errors before bind.

Message 3 of 7
shavezkhan

firstly detach those drawings than purge,audit,
than attached those one and bind those it will work
Message 4 of 7
thisispreston
in reply to: 3wood

Great, thank you! Auditing the xref sorted it.

Came back with 940 errors!!

-----------------------------------------------
"music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Maybe already before bind and deleted but still in the drawing as block
soluation :- type in command line pu then hit enter key

purge drawing.png

Message 6 of 7

I was trying to etransmit a sheet set, but Civil kept crashing. I reduced the broad etransmit down to binding the sheets, and I found that the base xref would not bind. I saw some info that recommended cleaning up the file. I did the following commands; RECOVERALL, AUDIT, PURGE, OVERKILL (deleted over 150 overlapping objects *face palm*), and it still wouldn't bind. While researching how to resolve the issue, I saw something about CIVIL entities causing problems... I never had problems with civil drawings before. I didn't start this drawing that I wanted to bind, but it turns out the creator had copied an old civil file of the same project area. The surface had been double EXPLODEd - which means the contours are just plines; however, there was still a surface. I opened the toolspace and checked the items in there. There were many point groups that needed to be updated, and some cut/fill surfaces that needed to be updated that were not relevant to the current project. I updated or deleted the items in tool space and I finally was able to BIND the xref. Triumph!

Message 7 of 7
RSomppi

@thisispreston wrote:

Which is arguably the most useless error message of all time,

I can argue that one.

I've seen a few in Revit that basically just say an error has occurred.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost