Did you mean: 

XREF's & Layer Colors

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
612 Views, 7 Replies

XREF's & Layer Colors

I have just been given (2) drawings that both have multiple XREF's attached and both files someone went and changed all of the layers to one color except colors to show new work, relocated and removed items.

Instead of only changing the colors in the viewport.

Is it possible to do an update of each XREF and convert the colors back to the original without having to dettach and re-attach each file?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Change the VISRETAIN setting to 0.

In the XREF Manager, right-click and select RELOAD.

Change the VISRETAIN setting back to 1.

Message 3 of 8
leothebuilder

The Visretain solution will only work if the xref layers were changed in a viewport.

If these layers were changed in the actual xref file, there is no way to reset the layers unless you do so one at a time and you know what the original layer settings were.

Message 4 of 8
nestly2
in reply to: leothebuilder

Based on the description, I think jclaidler's solution will probably solve the problem, but if the xref's layer colors are only changed in a Layouts/VPs and not Modelspace, then those color overrides can be removed by right-clicking on the layers while the VP is active and "Remove VP Overrides...."

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: leothebuilder

Actually, the VISRETAIN option works for overrides made in the layer manager.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you that worked perfectly!

I have used that command for a different reason but did not realize it would repair this issue.

So an additional question:

Would this also clear out settings for viewports in paperspace or would those remain unchanged?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

This will also reset the Viewport overrides.  If you don't want those reset, create a layer state first.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you again for the information jclaidler.

This is not a normal file that I see so creating a layer state is not required.

The VISRETAIN command is still new to me and it helps to have a good understanding so as not to mess up a file and have to re-create something if you know what I mean.

I've been using AutoCAD for a long time but except for some classes to learn ACAD Ver. 10 (Yes, mid 90's) everything since then has been learned on the job.

So everytime they release a new version with all of the new commands it becomes difficult to keep up with much of it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report