Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref automation.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
andreas7ZYXQ
277 Views, 2 Replies

Xref automation.

I have some ideas about automate my drawing setup.

I work with electrical drawings for all type of buildings.
When I work I have my architecture drawing xref under as an overlay.

When it comes to plot we always have the layout in a new file with the design and logos. I want to automate this process.

If I have a floor that's split up in 10 layouts it brings me 10 files. For the first floor I make the design in my first layout and then copy it and pan so I get my 10 unique layouts. I also get 10 files. In each file I have my drawing xref and also the architecture drawing.

For the next floor I just change the xref in each file and continue on.

My issue is that this process takes loads of time if I have for example a building with 10 floors and 10 layouts per floor. It gets me 100 files
In some cases I have 4-5 different types of installations seperated so it gets me 500 files.

I would like to automate the process to set up those files. Anyone got some good ideas?

My stamp information is automated outside cad and also the plotting process.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tony1978
in reply to: andreas7ZYXQ

Hmm here is an idea. Why not have layouts 1-10 drawings already created and the xref's linked to the your base drawing? Because each project has it's own unique project.number, you will still have to relink just the one base drawing in each of the 10 layouts.  So basically when you start a new drawing, you should have those 10 layout drawings with your company boarder already created, of course you will have to adjust the viewports unless you copy the viewport over in each layout. You can either design in your base drawing, with some layer management or you can create in different design in each of the layout drawings. This is just a thought, I'm sure there are other ways to achieve what you are looking for. 

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

Message 3 of 3
3wood
in reply to: andreas7ZYXQ

It seems to me spliting 1 floor plan into 10 different dwg files is inefficient and was a way people worked with when AutoCAD didn't have multiple layout function. I would suggest your manager to adopt one file per floor plan, just to match the architect's drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report