Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does autostack stack numbers before and after a pound sign?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
eganz
270 Views, 3 Replies

Why does autostack stack numbers before and after a pound sign?

"AutoStack only stacks numeric characters immediately before and after the caret, forward slash, and pound sign."

I like the autostack function for typing fractions, but do not like that it also stacks pound signs.  For example, in electrical jargon, we often describe a feeder as "2#12 & 1#12 grd - 1/2" C."  Autostack corrects this to "2/12 & 1/12

GRD - 1/2" C." (but with the fractions stacked of course; the forum text editor doesn't allow me to show that stacking in here).

Example:

Screenshot 2023-06-16 153020.png

The stack properties dialog box allows for some formatting and defaults, but I don't see a way to change this specific item.  Is there a way to keep autostack on for fractions, but off for the pound sign?

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
vinodkl
in reply to: eganz

Hello @eganz 

You can turn off autostart completely by typing in the command "MTEXTAUTOSTACK" and turning it "off". But I'm sure if you can only disable the autostacking with # key 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 4
Kent1Cooper

A fairly simple workaround, if you can remember to do it this way, is to first enter the content without the # signs:

Kent1Cooper_0-1686945628675.png

then go back and put them in:

Kent1Cooper_1-1686945694213.png

and they'll "stick":

Kent1Cooper_2-1686945731292.png

It's the actual typing of the space [or Enter for a new line] immediately after the number after the # that triggers the stacking.  So if the space is already there after the number, and then you insert the # inside, stacking is not triggered.  Note that if numbers surrounding a # are the very end of the content, and you conclude with Ctrl+Enter or by picking out in the drawing area, the stacking doesn't happen.  Only space/Enter right after the number after the # causes it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 4
pendean

.... or a simple tap of the backspace key after the fraction is created (when you add a space after it) will automatically undo it, PLUS you can keep typing (and that extra space is never lost to boot).

Way simpler to learn to do "muscle-memory" style than any of the other tips so far 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report