Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can we expect a "real" upgrade to AutoCad?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jdkoja
591 Views, 8 Replies

When can we expect a "real" upgrade to AutoCad?

Hello all,

I am not here to trash AutoCad.  Its really the best cad on the market...  The issues really, is; why has Autodesk not really given AutoCad an upgrade?  I am not talking about file type, new features, connectivity and so on.  What I mean is, why does AutoCAD for the most part, operate similar in speed, bugs and so on, similar to AutoCAD R14?  AutoCAD is my cad of choice and having been using it since R14.  It just seems through the years, it has not become faster, more efficient and smarter.  AutoCAD can not even take advantage of current technology in terms of computer hardware.  Why is that?  It is very frustrating.  I have been on many many many forums and websites searching to make AutoCAD faster and less buggy.  I believe that does not exist.  In my oppinion, AutoCAD's bare bones is nothing more than R14.  No "real' change in its programing at all since then.  Just more features, options, connectivity, fluff and a new name, year after year.  All who disagree....ok.  Please someone show me that it can be faster and more efficient, short of writing lisps and organization.

My computer is as follows:

Intel I9 overclocked processor.

64 GB. Hi speed Ram

ASUS Ultra motherboard

Samsung EVO Pro M.2NVMe SSD 512 GB. Boot Drive (Only Windows OS and Drivers)

Samsung EVO Pro M.2NVMe SSD 1 GB Program Drive (AutoCAD)

Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Super Overclocked 8GB 256 Bit Graphics Card

Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition Liquid Cooling System (CPU Heatsink)

Do not use a server.  All from the computer itself.

As you can see, this is a high priced and powered computer, more than capable of AutoCAD.  I can run very advanced software very quick and efficient.  Only AutoCAD continues to be sluggish, freeze, crash and so on.  This makes no sense.

Again, if anyone out there has suggestions, I would more than happy be willing to take them.  I have just been searching for years without any success.  To me AutoDesk has just not updated their software because they have not really had to.  Only now do you see third party competitors such as, BricksCAD.  

Anyway, let me know.

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BeKirra
in reply to: jdkoja

I am afraid users here will not be able to answer most of your questions. But...

@jdkoja wrote:

Please someone show me that it can be faster and more efficient, short of writing lisps and organization.

My computer is as follows:

Intel I9 overclocked processor.

64 GB. Hi speed Ram

ASUS Ultra motherboard

Samsung EVO Pro M.2NVMe SSD 512 GB. Boot Drive (Only Windows OS and Drivers)

Samsung EVO Pro M.2NVMe SSD 1 GB Program Drive (AutoCAD)

Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Super Overclocked 8GB 256 Bit Graphics Card

Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition Liquid Cooling System (CPU Heatsink)

Do not use a server.  All from the computer itself.

Only AutoCAD continues to be sluggish, freeze, crash and so on. 

IMO it also depends on how you set up your macro, lisps and .net etc.

What it is the the difference if you "Reset Settings to Default"?

My pc comes with lower specs comparing to yours and runs smoothly without clashing/freezing in most of time.

Did you work on 3d drawings when your pc crashed/froze/sluggish?

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

first at all, I understand a lot of statements you made, and I'm with you partially 😉

>> What I mean is, why does AutoCAD for the most part, operate

>> similar in speed, bugs and so on, similar to AutoCAD R14?

Sorry, I can not agree with this. If you have the same speed as in R14 then you don't compare the complexity and amount of objects we have now. Loading dwg-files with > 100MB was even not possible with R14, today I can open and work with such files. Also the complexity raised e.g. with history in solids, fields depending on other objects, annotative text/dim/hatches/blocks, associative array, transparency and all that stuff (and much more functionality added) were not available in R14 and so all these calculations were not made.

Side node (from just a few tests, not that much)

>> Intel I9 overclocked processor.

Intel I9 is optimized for multithreading (which AutoCAD does not use), I7 with same frequency can handle single threaded applications better than I9. But again, I had no chance for long tests and many different types of drawings, so this is not a fact based on multiple tests.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 9
jdkoja
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Well, I appreciate your reply. It is what i expected. Single thread,
complexity......not really. It has been well over two decades.
Message 5 of 9
Kevin.Spear

I think a partial answer to your question is in how you have used AutoCAD over the years. Are you still only using as digital ink? Do you use Annotative text? Sheet sets? Block counts, etc. Are you only doing 2D or do you model in 3D? While I myself am also annoyed that its not multithreaded as it is the host to my Civil toolset.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 6 of 9
Tomislav.Golubovic

I don't think it ever will. Some features are taking advantage of multi core processors (rendering I think now?) but the base of AutoCAD won't change, but thats my opinion. I think to do a multi core app it would have to be a complete re-write. And with a lot of countries and jobs being BIM mandated, you'd have to be looking at Revit or other solutions anyway. AutoCAD would only be for maybe making minor changes to drawings.

Message 7 of 9
RobDraw

@jdkoja wrote:

What I mean is, why does AutoCAD for the most part, operate similar in speed, bugs and so on, similar to AutoCAD R14? 

You've missed a lot or you are doing the same things to created those issues 20 years ago.

@jdkoja wrote:

Please someone show me that it can be faster and more efficient, short of writing lisps and organization.

It's hard to be efficient when you don't establish a solid base. While LISPs are not required for efficiency, they certainly can make a huge difference depending on your usage of AutoCAD. If you aren't taking advantage of any customization, you are cutting yourself short.

@jdkoja wrote:

Only now do you see third party competitors such as, BricksCAD.  

This statement kind of says a lot. AutoCAD competitors including BrisCAD have been around for decades.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 9
jdkoja
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

Hello.

I only use AutoCAD for 2D purposes.  Features such as annotative text, dynamic blocks are used.  I'm also in the opinion that, AutoCAD will not change.....really.  Money is probably the major player.  To me, the program is extremely outdated, bloated and in some cases useless.  It has not changed with technology at all.  Same bugs and so on.  Time to think about another program.  Maybe Revit.  

Message 9 of 9
RobDraw

The OP stated that AutoCAD hasn't changed in over 20 years. You are saying that it won't change. That's hardly the same thing. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report