Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING TO ALL, be aware of Iolo System Mechanic Professional

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Greg_in_VA
16988 Views, 16 Replies

WARNING TO ALL, be aware of Iolo System Mechanic Professional

WARNING TO ALL, be aware of Iolo System Mechanic Professional!!!!  After installing it on my laptop and workstation no Autodesk application would run/start. I contacted Iolo and their response was there must be an issue with Autodesk and recommended I reload all Autodesk items. After completing this long and tedious task Autodesk still wouldn’t work. Only after reinstalling Windows 10-Pro and Autodesk applications was I able to start and run Autocad and Revit. Two days wasted and Iolo response was unacceptable.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cadffm
in reply to: Greg_in_VA

I think you run a registry opt. Option?

Software like this is ever handle with care and like they(iolo) wrote self:

"Registry Backup
This option lets you create a registry backup. We recommend creating a backup before actually cleaning the registry in case anything goes wrong."

And before other optimize options, set a windows recovery point.

And Autocad/Revit was still not running, after you re-import the registry backup / set windows back to recovery point?

Ooch.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
RobDraw
in reply to: cadffm

Yup, it's a real shame that people feel the need to post bad reviews when things break because they did not use it properly. Like 99.9% of the AutoDesk bashers that visit these forums.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 17
Greg_in_VA
in reply to: RobDraw

My problem wasn't with AutoDesk but the response I got from Iolo saying it
was an AutoDesk issue and then not offering any suggestions as to what
caused the problem. I used/installed to Iolo program properly. and was just
stating the facts surrounding my experience.
Message 5 of 17
RobDraw

I didn't mean to imply that you were an Autodesk basher, just that you act like one.

So, let me ask this.

If you used it properly, why did it mess up your programs? Shouldn't you be aware of the implications of using a powerful tool and know how to apply it, or not apply it, so that your programs work afterwards?

If this is really about posting a bad review of the support for that product, you're not even close to the being in the appropriate forum.

Rob

Message 6 of 17
pendean

@Greg_in_VA wrote:

I contacted Iolo and their response was there must be an issue with Autodesk and recommended I reload all Autodesk items. 

That's a common response / requirement when the publisher of the app has no access to your computer to properly diagnose the real issue. Up there with "have you restart your <enter device type here>" support response whenever you call anyone about an issue.

Glad you got it fixed: but without more background information and actual transcripts of your transactions with them plus your actual PC state, this just looks like a need to vent somewhat dramatically (I did not read it to be anything else).

Venting is good, best without the melodramatic "warning..." headline though.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

I just got it for free with another paid software but I am reluctant to try it. I tried System Mechanic years ago and it created errors in my system.

I use for years altogether JV16, AVG TuneUp and ccleaner. I never had any problem, even if I use the three in a row. But due to my bad past experiences with IOLO System Mechanic, I am not sure I want even to try it even if I got the paid version for free.

What are your opinion about IOLO in general, are their tools safe now or still approximate like it used to be ?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

The most recent version of Iolo System Mechanic FORCES the device/laptop into a MAXIMUM POWER STATE all the time. This is simply unacceptable for mobile applications. The correction is to go to the CONTROL PANEL and select POWER OPTIONS and find the power state of your computer. If what is selected NOT what you want, select the more desirable option. If necessary, click the down-arrow to see more options. Forcing all users to MAXIMUM power state 100% of the time, upon installation, is simply wrong!

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

You would do well not only to be aware of this software but also to BEWARE it. All so-called “registry cleaners” will damage your system and System Mechanic is no exception: see http://www.greatbritishbusinessshow.co.uk/news-feed/blog.asp?blog_id=5224

Message 10 of 17
Greg_in_VA
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree, Since I wiped all remnants of the IOLO product I have not had seconds trouble with anything crashing. Until the bitter end IOLO still contended it was a problem with Autocad.

Message 11 of 17
JamesMaeding

@Greg_in_VA 

And since Robdraw proclaims 99.9% of posters to this forum as Bashers, and is always right, everyone is a Basher!

Welcome to the club.

My experience with registry and system cleaning utils is they do indeed screw up many things even if you use them as recommended. The fact is backing up the registry and system restore is rather time consuming, so while they may say to do it, that is essentially saying the product is not stable or trustable.

Yep, that truth is a dead ringer for a Robdraw basher accusation. So predictable.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 12 of 17
RobDraw
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Your reading comprehension skills need improving.

Rob

Message 13 of 17
JamesMaeding

@RobDraw 

Your Autocad skills need improving.

Message 14 of 17
Greg_in_VA

I am sorry if I offended some people. I was just telling my experience with
IOLO and the holy than thou attitude and ready to place blame on others. As
I stated before after I got rid of IOLO I haven't had any problems.
Message 15 of 17
JamesMaeding

@Greg_in_VA 

No worries buddy, you have not offended anyone.

I, however, am sure I have offended you-know-who 🙂

Its every post though for me. Bashers gotta bash so I was just happy to find a friend to suffer with.

Hang in there.

Message 16 of 17
RobDraw

@JamesMaeding wrote:

@RobDraw 

Your Autocad skills need improving.

Maybe so but I do know that applying any registry cleaner to a machine that's running AutoCAD will most likely cause AutoCAD to stop functioning.

Rob

Message 17 of 17
JamesMaeding

Hey hey, completely agree!

Its so sad too as I have heard of so many people that revert to reg cleaners when they have issues and it never ends well. I think maybe they need to change their web browsing and email clicking habits a bit rather than clean that thing called the "registry". Most have no idea what the registry is. Some just switch to Mac's when it all goes down, oh well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta