Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visretainmode & xrefoverride not 100%

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
randyspear6624
566 Views, 4 Replies

visretainmode & xrefoverride not 100%

I've got autocad 2018.2 and civil 3d 2018.3 and am having a hard time getting visretainmode working properly.

I'd like to simply have linetypes sync. Everything else can stay static as if only visretain were set to 1.

I have visretain = 1, visretainmode = 32 and xrefoverride set to 1 (i've also tried it as 0).

I understand that visretainmode will only work if there's changes to the properties in the xref file and not when it's been overridden in the host file. However, it's also my understanding that the xrefoverride variable should remedy this (however it does not). In Autocad I can manually reset xref layer properties in the layer manager but I didn't think this should be necessary. In Civil 3D, resetting the layer manager will change the layer to the correct name but the display isn't correct (it just shows continuous). 

If I set visretain to 0, the linetype will show property so I know it's not an LTScale issue or other display issue with C3D.

Is this feature just still buggy in 2018 or am I missing something else?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cadffm
in reply to: randyspear6624

It would be easier (for us) when you attach a sample (both dwg files),

so we doesn't need to ask all missing informations.

A try in the blue

If Visretain 0 works as expected and Visretain 1 doesn't in all situations, just sometimes(!?) while visretain is set to 32,

then i guess you talking situation with XrefLayerOverrides in your Main file!

That's the only thing i thought to match what you saying.

Conversely it means, after you reload your xref while visretain is set to 0 (and after this, set back to 1),

the linetype update works also as expect,

right?

In this case. Read the help about Visretainmode. Type in VISRETAINMODE<enter> and press [F1]

Sebastian

Message 3 of 5
cadffm

One word about XRefOverride: This is to handle general Xref-Object properties like linetype as "ByLayer",

so it will appears with the linetype of your layer.

Upload a SIMPLE sample _xref.dwg and _main.dwg, so we can talk about it with the right layernames and linetypenames - much easier for a  discussion

Sebastian

Message 4 of 5
randyspear6624
in reply to: cadffm

Reading a little more about XREFOVERRIDE, I see this in not what I had intended it for... (I'd prefer to leave overridden objects be).

Moving onto the visretain and visretainmode variables... Attached are two files for a simple example. The reference has a line on the layer A-Bldg with the linetype set to fenceline2. The host then references this file and the linetype is changed for layer "Reference|A-Bldg" to Hidden. If I reload the xref nothing happens. ie, it stays as hidden instead of going back to fenceline2 as I would expect with visretainmode = 32.

Message 5 of 5
cadffm

So i guessed right.

I quote my text, this time follow my hint and read the help about visretainmode.

---

In this case. Read the help about Visretainmode. Type in VISRETAINMODE<enter> and press [F1]

---

Note the NOTE part.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-46480687-6DFF-499E-B7C0-E741AEA11D00

Sebastian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report