Did you mean: 

View Port Standard Scale Changes Automatically

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
3647 Views, 17 Replies

View Port Standard Scale Changes Automatically

I have created a new view port for my drawing and keep trying to set the scale to 1/4" =1'0". I double click within the view port to adjust the relative location. However, once I double click out of the view port, the standard scale resets back to some arbitrary custom scale.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
scot-65
in reply to: Anonymous

Try setting PSVPSCALE to (/ 1.0 48) before creating the viewport.
See System Variables section of Help for more information.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 3 of 18
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

I have created a new view port for my drawing and keep trying to set the scale to 1/4" =1'0". I double click within the view port to adjust the relative location. However, once I double click out of the view port, the standard scale resets back to some arbitrary custom scale.

It sounds like the zoom level is changing while the viewport is active. It's not hard to do unintentionally. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

Lock your viewport to the scale you want before clicking into it.

Message 5 of 18
pietro.pedone

Hi @Anonymous ! It could be what @RobDraw  has mentioned. Does the scale change even if you activate the viewport, set the scale you wanted, click on the padlock icon on the status bar, and then enter the PSPACE command?

Pietro.P
Global Product Support
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Message 6 of 18
pietro.pedone

Hey @Anonymous ,

Just checking back about my post earlier today. Did it help you? If so, it would be great if you could mark it--or some other user's answer--as a Solution! 🙂

Otherwise, just update this thread with any additional info and we'll be happy to continue helping you 🙂

Pietro.P
Global Product Support
Autodesk Knowledge Network
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: pietro.pedone

I have tried solutions provided. However if I lock my view port after changing the standard scale, then I'm not able to adjust the relative location of the drawing. The same issue occurs when I type PSPACE as opposed to double clicking outside of the viewport. It appears it is stuck on scale to fit.  

Message 8 of 18
Bob_Zurunkle

Did you just say you don't lock your viewport?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

I seem to have found a work around. If I double click within the viewport and then use the toolbar to change to the appropriate scale it stays that way. However, I still wonder why my normal method reverts to scale to fit.

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

I lock my view ports after I adjust the position and scale normally

Message 11 of 18
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

However if I lock my view port after changing the standard scale, then I'm not able to adjust the relative location of the drawing.

Yes, you can by adjusting the viewport by stretching it with the grips. After doing it a couple times it becomes quite intuitive.

Rob

Message 12 of 18
dieters
in reply to: RobDraw

@DraftingPerson ,

More recent versions of AutoCAD have a triangular grip inside a selected layout viewport where you can choose your scale. If you have AutoCAD or LT 2018 and later, I'd recommend using MVIEW /New in an empty layout. If you follow the prompts, it will do everything for you, including locking the layout viewport.

First, it switches you to model space where you define a rectangular area with two diagonal points. Then you press Enter to accept that model space area. It returns you to the layout, but before you place the layout viewport, right-click and choose your scale. Finally, click to place the viewport. Pure magic! 🙂

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Principal Learning Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Interesting. I feel I may be misunderstanding the concept. I'm currently using a single viewport that spans the entire layout screen, not multiple viewports within a layout. I do appreciate the continual feedback for a topic that might seem quite trite. Also for reference, I am using an old version of AutoCAD 2011 LT.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

If you need to adjust your layout in the viewport, unlock it and just pan inside the viewport until it is where you need it to be and then lock it back.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

I believe this is the method I normally use. However, once panned and adjusted I have to double click or type PSPACE to be able to right click the viewport line to lock the display. This is where my problem stems from. Once I return to paper space to do this, it reverts back to scale to fit. Is there a button or method I'm simply ignorant of that allows me to lock the viewport from within?

Message 16 of 18
dieters

DraftingPerson ,

>> Interesting. I feel I may be misunderstanding the concept. I'm currently using a single viewport that spans the entire layout screen, not multiple viewports within a layout. I do appreciate the continual feedback for a topic that might seem quite trite. Also for reference, I am using an old version of AutoCAD 2011 LT.

Ah. The method I presented works brilliantly for single layout viewports as well, and upgrading to a more-recent version will make a lot of operations easier, but . . .

On earlier releases of AutoCAD/LT, I'd suggest keeping the Properties panel open to make the scale and locking parameters more accessible. Set the scale of the layout viewport, use PAN to avoid risking inadvertent zooming with the middle mouse button if you use it to pan, and then lock the layout viewport.  

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Principal Learning Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 17 of 18
RobDraw

You can lock the viewport while it is active with the padlock button at the bottom of the screen.

Rob

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

I suppose I can't determine the root cause of the default "scale to fit" issue but Rob, this certainly is very helpful in working around the issue!

Thanks everyone for providing so much input into this topic!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report