'VIEW' command - export/import?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1949 Views, 3 Replies

'VIEW' command - export/import?

Hello. I'm using Autocad Civil 3D 2016.

What is the fastest way to move saved views from one drawing to another. Is it possible to export/import saved views?

I'm saving the views in windows in model space and using them to orientate MV's in paper space.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous, 

Exporting and Importing views is not a built-in feature of AutoCAD. There have been third-party utilities available in the past that allowed you to do this but I am not sure if they still exist. I believe one was available from DotSoft.

One method that I have used before is to have  a model grid. This grid is simply constructed of lines at a preset spacing and then made into a block that could be imported into a drawing. I insert the grid onto a non-plot layer.

Once the grid is in model space, I can then go to a layout, create a viewport and then use the ALIGNSPACE command to snap my viewport boundary to the corresponding grid section.

Let me know if this makes sense. If you like I can build a Screencast example.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 4
pendean

This freeware works in R2016 for me http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=6607
Message 4 of 4
bhuhn

I realize this is an old post, but I stumbled on it because it's still relevant (at least to me - but maybe others... so maybe this will be helpful).

Say you have two files: file one has model views made for it's own geometry, and file two has geometry but needs the same views. Maybe you have over 100 views, so it'd be a waste of time to create each view a second time for file 2. What I've done is to make a copy of file 1 and rename it to match file 2. Delete everything in the new file and purge everything (your views will remain intact). Then just click and drag the old file 2 from your explorer window into model space to insert it as a block. Place it at 0,0 and explode it. Now (if you've lined everything up the same way between both files relative to the origin) your views will align with the inserted geometry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta