Did you mean: 

Unitless blocks on tool palette scale based on drawing units

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
BrianHailey
1318 Views, 6 Replies

Unitless blocks on tool palette scale based on drawing units

I have a drawing full of blocks, which are all unitless. The blocks have been added to a tool palette. When I insert the block into a unitless drawing, it doesn't scale (which is good). When I insert it into a drawing that has the units "Feet" assigned to it, it doesn't scale (which is good). When I insert it into a drawing with the units "Inches", it scales by a factor of 12 (which is bad). I have no idea where the block as the unit "Feet" associated with it. The drawing it's in is unitless and the block definition is also unitless. My understanding it, this block shouldn't scale no matter what the drawing units are. I've played around with the -dwgunits and no matter what that is set to, the blocks scale based on the units command. I've done this in our template and a drawing created with no template. I created a new tool palette and tried it from there with the same results. I'm missing something, I just don't know what it is.

BrianHailey_0-1628199045302.png

BrianHailey_1-1628199089553.png

BrianHailey_2-1628199168602.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: BrianHailey

INSUNITS variable, look it up in HELP, may be what you seek since you never mention it.
Message 3 of 7
tramber

What about INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET ? They are registered. To set to 0.

Message 4 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: pendean

When I refer to the drawing units, this is what I'm referring to, which is the same as INSUNITS: 

BrianHailey_0-1628255175405.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: tramber

Both INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET are set to 0 and the scaling still happens. I did a bit more testing and if I create a new block, the scaling doesn't happen so it must be something with my blocks and not necessarily something with the drawing they are being inserted into.

Another thing, when I use the INSERT command, browse to the drawing with the bock in it, and insert it into a different drawing, the scaling doesn't happen.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 7
BrianHailey

Even more information. I inserted the block that is scaling based on the units (when it shouldn't be) into a new drawing and then added that block to a tool palette and the scaling doesn't happen. Could it be a setting in the source drawing and not the block itself? The drawing is saved as a 2013 drawing to be compatible with some projects we are still doing in 2016.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 7
BrianHailey

Very odd. I had to open the drawing that contained the blocks using 2016, audit, and save the drawing. Things seem to be working now. Not sure what happened.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report