Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo does multiple steps (ctrl-z) and then I cannot redo

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
13351 Views, 22 Replies

Undo does multiple steps (ctrl-z) and then I cannot redo

I have had this issue several times and it has caused me many headaches, but no one else in my office can replicate this. The issue is I will be in a IDW, make a mistake such as add an incorrect line and my habit is to "ctrl-z" to undo. The problem is that this undoes multiple steps and I cannot redo them, reverting my drawing back several minutes. It this a bug? Setting? I am at a loss. I have searched numerous times in the past few weeks and the closest I can find to someone with a similar issue is the thread linked below and that does not have a real answer.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/i-undid-multiple-commands-won-t-redo-back/m-p/6426048#M...

Any help troubleshooting this will be appreciated. This occurs not on any specific or isolated idws and has been happening sporadically over the past few months, since we updated to Autodesk Inventor Professional 2017. Thank you in advance.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi.

Undo command has many cool options that most of users don't use it . all what i can do it is to guide to read this articles that will help you . >> Click , Click 1 , Click 2 <<  .

i hope that it's help ... 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 23
Kent1Cooper

Redo can be applied to more than just the single last Undo, using the pull-down at the Redo icon up top:

Redo.png

And, there's a command MREDO -- read about it in Help.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 23
jacob.dwyer

I'm going to bump this because I'm having this exact issue. I have tried multiple methods of using the undo command. Entering "u", "undo" and the n specifying only one step, and ctrl-z all take me back to a particular point in the drawing, undoing dozens of commands. I lots 1.5 hours of work due to this error, which is very frustrating. There doesn't appear to be anything different about my settings from other drawings in which this does not occur, and it works properly after the commands have been undone to a certain point. The command it stops on is a pan and zoom command, and I haven't set any groups or marks that would bring it back to that point.

Any advice on fixing this issue would be appreciated.

I'm using Civil 3D 2017 SP1.0 and AutoCAD 2017.1.2

13.5.1184.0 Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
T.114.0.0 AutoCAD 2023.1
HP Zbook G7 Laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
RAM: 16.0 gb
Message 5 of 23
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: jacob.dwyer

@jacob.dwyer wrote:

.... Entering "u", "undo" and the n specifying only one step, and ctrl-z all take me back to a particular point in the drawing, undoing dozens of commands. I lots 1.5 hours of work .... The command it stops on is a pan and zoom command....

I'm not sure this will be the solution, because it doesn't seem likely that 1.5 hours of work could involve only panning/zooming and Layer operations, and because it says a change in the value is not saved when you close a drawing, but....  Investigate the UNDOCTL System Variable.  Its setting can be changed directly or through the Control option in the UNDO command:

Command: UNDO
Current settings: Auto = On, Control = All, Combine = Yes, Layer = Yes
Enter the number of operations to undo or [Auto/Control/BEgin/End/Mark/Back] <1>: C
Enter an UNDO control option [All/None/One/Combine/Layer] <All>: C
Combine zoom and pan operations? [Yes/No] <Yes>: No

That Combine sub-option was suggested by the last part of your message quoted above, but that's only one choice.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 23
jacob.dwyer
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I appreciate the thought, but the command undid erases, alignment and sub assembly edits, polyline creation and edits, corridor edits, and profile edits. I reset CAD and that seemed to fix the issue. It was definitely a weird bug.

T.114.0.0 AutoCAD 2023.1
HP Zbook G7 Laptop
Message 7 of 23
dlanorh

It could be that an Undo BEgin and End have been set or a Mark and Back possibly in a lisp or macro. CtlZ could also have been remapped.

I am not one of the robots you're looking for

Message 8 of 23
jacob.dwyer
in reply to: dlanorh

Any sort of marks had been ruled out as causes, and every means i had of undo-ing had the same result (ctrl-z, "undo" command, 'U" command). I don't believe a key remap would reset when the drawing was closed and re-opened. Thank you for your input though.

T.114.0.0 AutoCAD 2023.1
HP Zbook G7 Laptop
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Hello everyone, I hate to dig up old post but I can't find anywhere else where they talk about this. I'm currently having the exact same issue.

In my case any kind of progress (even hours long progress) would be undo all the way to the way the drawing looked when I opened it, just by one single undo click. I can't find a solution.

@jacob.dwyer Did you eventually find the cause of it? ( I know it's an old issue but I'm really struggling right now) 

thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 23
jacob.dwyer

Sorry buddy, the issue just seemed to disappear when i closed the drawing and reset my computer to start fresh. It is a very weird and concerning bug to be sure.

T.114.0.0 AutoCAD 2023.1
HP Zbook G7 Laptop
Message 11 of 23

Hi,

I am having the same Undo issue. Watching your work being undone at high speed in front of your eyes is EXTREMELY frustrating. This happens on a very regular basis such that I try to save every minute or two to prevent loosing work. HELP!!! 

Message 12 of 23
Peter_Stoneham

Hi Cosimo,

did you ever find a solution to the undo all issue?

Ctl Z or U randomly set off a undo loop that keeps Undooing (even when everything has been undone) until Esc is pressed. As you know this is EXTREMELY frustrating!!

UNDOCTL = 53 (read only)

L

MULTIPLE

Enter command name to repeat: LINE

Specify first point:

Specify first point:

Specify next point or [Undo]:

u

(Lisp Expression) GROUP menu item

U

U

U

U

Message 13 of 23
Peter_Stoneham

Hi Donavan,

I have the same frustrating issue - did you ever resolve it?

Ctl Z or U randomly set off a undo loop that keeps Undooing until Esc is pressed.

AutoCAD 2018

UNDOCTL = 53 (read only)

Here I create two lines then press U and then Enter;

L

MULTIPLE

Enter command name to repeat: LINE

Specify first point:

Specify first point:

u

U

U

U

U

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Peter_Stoneham

I also experienced this in Revit 2019 today. So bizarre! Hit CTRL+Z to undo ONCE after dropping a few views onto a drawing sheet, and editing titleblock etc, and lost about 20mins work, with no redo option available. Thought I was imagining it!

Any fixes? Thanks.

Message 15 of 23
Peter_Stoneham

Hi Katie,

unfortunately I have not solved this issue. I have now modified my behavior by limiting my undos and when I have to I perform a save and then ready my finger over the escape key to stop the cascading undo... 

Message 16 of 23
pendean

@Anonymous @Peter_Stoneham
1) There are times when OOPS is more appropriate that U: perhaps you need that more often?
2) And perhaps UNDO is More appropriate than just U, it forces the full command and it's options to help you control the results.
3) Dive into the many options in UNDO s well, perhaps all the defaults simply do not suit your individual needs.
4) Editing the UNDO/REDO defaults in OPTIONS's USER PREF tab may also give you more control too.
5) And unless you all are stuck in the LT versions of AutoCAD, one of the many perks of paying for much for AutoCAD is the ability to customize it with LISP and more to suit your exact needs even further. There is almost never a need to wait on Autodesk for +3.5years not (the date of this post) for something big to change.

AND you both check out the miracle cure in post#10 above and ensure that's not all you need to do.

FWIW A manual save (QSAVE) adds a break to UNDO by its nature, always works for me for 30+years now, get in the habit of using it at every stopping point in your drafting, there is always one.

HTH
Message 17 of 23
Peter_Stoneham
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean,

thanks for the tips and tricks on Undo and Oops but this does not address the bug/issue we are facing.

Message 18 of 23
pendean

Since not all of us face this same one issue, care to elaborate? Your me-too posts don't tell me much on how to replicate your problem except for the fact that you have LISP expressions running when you simply activate and use LINE command, which is not normal for us AutoCAD users not running a heavily customized variant like you.

Start with what ABOUT command lists as your version, your OS, what add-ons/add-ins you've got runnings (screenshots of your APPLOAD loaded Apps, your CUI's Partial Customization Files section, plus your ACADDOC.LSP and ACAD.LSP if you have them) , and if the test of logging into your PC as an all new user replicates the issues you have.

TIA
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. It's not an ongoing issue for me, just something that happened suddenly yesterday, so was looking for an explanation if others have experienced this bug before. This is the first time I've ever seen this glitch happen (in 15 years of using Revit), and we use the full versions of Revit (this happened in Revit 2019) not LT version of the software in a commercial office. I use CTRL+Z sometimes to undo a single step, but it's never jumped back in time to a point 20 mins previous in a split second. I put it down to a weird glitch. I'm aware of the undo functionality in Revit, to allow multiple steps to be undone at once, but this wasn't that and I can't get it to do it again. It also greyed out the redo function. A weird one-off jump back in time!

Message 20 of 23
Peter_Stoneham
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean,

thank you for your response.

I think I mentioned that I am running full version of 2018. I load some simple LISP routines, none of which have never been an issue previously. Other than some changes under options it is stock standard. The line command lisp routine you mentioned is a left over from an earlier version of AutoCAD, possibly as far back as R10, when line did not automatically invoke 'multiple'. I have now deleted this command - not that it is an issue but just to tidy up.

(defun C:L ()
(command "MULTIPLE" "LINE")
(princ)
)

ACAD2018.LSP and ACAD2018DOC.LSP  are the default files under support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report