Did you mean: 

Unable to draw rectangles

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
10027 Views, 19 Replies

Unable to draw rectangles

I am following a AutoCAD 2016 module and Youtube videos to draw a basic rectangle but it doesn't work. No rectangle appears what am I doing wrong?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous hello, huh, why you cannot draw rectangle any reason? in command prompt type REC pick and move your mouse. Or in the command prompt type Polygon and move your mouse. that's it you can create rectangle already. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 20
imadHabash

Hi and Welcome to AutoDesk Forum,

i'm afraid that you are draw on a current layer that turns off. check your current layer if it's ON or OFF...

attached screencast movie will explain what i mean >> Link << 

Message 4 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I made a quick video just for you. In it you will see that I first create a layer and make it current ( I also assign it a color).

Then, I select the rectangle tool icon from the ribbon. I select my bottom corner and then the  corner of my rectangle. Voila!

Let me know if I can provide additional help. The forums in this community are a great way to learn and solve problems - Enjoy!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi there

Thank you so much for making a video for me. Am I able to use AutoCAD on a laptop with a built-in mouse? I am wandering if this is why when I follow instructions in print and YouTube videos and press the "Enter" to complete the rectangle it disappears. Would you agree? Is it necessary to use a PC not a laptop?

Kind regards

Jasmine
Message 6 of 20
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

A laptop with trackpad shouldn't make any difference (that is what I used to create my video).

Watch the command line carefully as you walk through the rectangle creation.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 7 of 20
jggerth

Desktop PC  or Laptop doesn't matter.  check the current layer, and make sure it's not off, and that the color is visible against your screen.

Can you draw a line and have it show up?

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

I can draw a line it's just when I add dimensions the rectangles disappear. Thank you for your video, I'll look again. Is it supposed to have sound?

Message 9 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you prepare a Screencast video of what you are doing? That would help me understand the issue better.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Sorry no I don't know how to do that. I gather there is no sound then? 

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

Hi, I can see the Layer is on "0" with a tick before it. I have tried to change it but am unable? What do you suggest?  

Message 12 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am sorry but no I did not record the sound.

Here is a link to Screencast but it should be included in your AutoCAD already in the Add-Ins Ribbon menu.

Capture.PNG

To make a layer current (the one with a check mark) you can double-click the one you want or rt-click for a whole bunch of additional choices.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Ok so I followed the video, right clicked and put in the first dimension 1.750 and pressed enter. I saw a red rectangle forming and put in a second dimension of 1.250 pressed enter and the rectangle disappeared. 

Message 14 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

When you see the little boxes for dimensions on the screen (called Dynamic Input) make sure that you use the TAB key to move between them. I made another video (with sound) for you that shows you how to do this with dimensions instead of just picking points on the screen as I did in the first video.

I hope this helps.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Hey John

We had "Lift off'!!!

Thank you so much for the videos. They made it so much easier....they worked! I can see what I was doing wrong. I was pressing 'Enter' at the wrong place. I've learnt the importance of taking the 'Default' back to 10,000 units. Your tutoring about the "Layers' thing was completely knew to me. I never knew this. It's been much trial and error over a much longer period of time than I anticipated. Nonetheless we had success.

I feel much more confident in pressing forward with the rest of this AutoCAD module now.

So once again thank you so much.

Kind regards

Jasmine

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

I want to draw a rectangle but it always showed up

Message 17 of 20
cadffm

Look into your Textscrren or better: Resize your commandline to see more lines..

There is set a width (>0) for the rectang command, set it back to zero.

- Sebastian -
Message 18 of 20
john.vellek

HI @dexterbersola78,

Are you trying to draw a 2D rectangle or a 3d box?  Can you share your drawing file so I can see what you area trying to do?

I made a quick video that shows how to create both of these objects.

John Vellek

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Im just trying to draw a rectangle on z axis for 3d window but it always
land on xy surface and I thought thats the one and only problem i am going
to mind but when it land to to xy axis and start clicking the first
point(which is the reference point) and dragging my mouse to the 2nd point
intersecting lines inside the rectangle suddenly appears
Message 20 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Try this for me.

Type UCS then x then 90.  This should rotate your user coordinate system. Now when you draw your rectangle you will see it appear in the same orientation as this new UCS.

You can also rotate your rectangle using 3dAlign or 3drotate.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost