Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting creating path array with right-angle geometry...

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
casey.outdoorobsessions
407 Views, 4 Replies

Troubleshooting creating path array with right-angle geometry...

I've been creating path arrays for a paver patio border, and have been getting mixed results. Sometimes, when I create an array, the path will be detected correctly and the objects in the appropriate position. Below is a screenshot of a successful array. This was created by using an offset from the outline of the patio edge. A single line (an un-exploded offset) was used as the path. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.33.32 AM.png

However, occasionally I try to do this and find the array is heading off in odd directions; almost a mirror of where the array should actually be. Below is a screenshot of an unsuccessful array, using a rectangular selection of an un-exploded offset. This isn't exclusive to rectangular/square selections, it happens a bit randomly with a variety of shapes that have right angles. My workaround is to explode the offset, and create an array for all of the individual straight lines, whereas the array in the first example required only one step to produce.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.34.02 AM.png

What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

@casey.outdoorobsessions wrote:

.... Below is a screenshot of an unsuccessful array, using a rectangular selection of an un-exploded offset. ...

It's not clear to me what is meant by "using a rectangular selection of an un-exploded offset."  Can you show us more detail?  What is the selection?  What is the path?  Where is the initial selection in relation to the path?  A screencast or other video of the process could be helpful.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 5

Ok, I didn't have Screencast loaded just yet, so I uploaded a screen recording. Hope that works. If not, I'll download Screencast. 

"Bad" is an attempt to create an array on a rectangular selection. As you can see, it gives me these weird arrays. 

"Good" is just a test run on a newly created rectangular selection in which the array is produced in the manner I need. 

I'm sure I just don't understand arrays correctly, and it's something I'm doing, but I'm curious what I'm missing. 

Message 4 of 5

I will just download Screencast and use that. This comment didn't turn out well...

Message 5 of 5

It looks, in the Bad one, simply like the ArrayPath settings include multiple rows, and too great an item spacing.  Or the Line you're Arraying needs to be positioned differently in relation to the start point of the path.

EDIT:  It's the latter.  Here, the path is the same in each case, but look at the effect of where the Arrayed object [yellow] is in relation to the beginning of the path:

Kent1Cooper_0-1630599247195.png

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report