Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble inserting a drawing title in 2 VP in the same layout , with different scales of drawings.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
shanik329
329 Views, 4 Replies

trouble inserting a drawing title in 2 VP in the same layout , with different scales of drawings.

I am having trouble inserting my drawing title in my view port when i have 2 different VP on the same layout with 2 different drawing scales. For example. the same drawing in VP 1 in 1/2" scale and VP 2 in 1/4" scale.

Because the drawing title is a block, when i insert into one VP, and then the second title in VP2 also changes, they are connected. i would like to keep the scale of the drawing title the same and not scale it to the drawing.

when i change the information on them, eg. base plan and scale, then automatically the second drawing title changes in the second VP.  Should i put the drawing title on its own VP . is there an easy solution. i have tried copying the drawing title  in model space. that does not work. any ideas.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: shanik329

Easiest and quickest way would be NOT to insert anything from one drawing layout to another drawing layout.

From your existing layout tab, select the viewport. Then grab a vertex (or vertices) and re-size the viewport. This resized viewport is your 1st viewport. Next, make the 2nd Viewport. To do this, make the Viewport Layer 'current' then manually draw your 2nd viewport. To draw this second VP go to Layout Tools Tab=>Layout Viewports Panel and use the RECTANGULAR option from the -VPORTS dropdown. See image below. Note: you don't necessarily have to use Rectanglar, you may use whatever option works best for you.

1.JPG

Once your new viewport is drawn, you may then resize it and/or reposition it accordingly.

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 5
shanik329
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

i am drawing one drawing in model space and then putting on the same page layout with  different scales.

I usually draw the rectangle on DEF layer, so the black rectangle is not printed. i draw 2 rectangles one layout page, bc the drawing  will be 2 different scales.  Now how do insert the drawing tile?

Message 4 of 5
ChicagoLooper

The most efficient way to use 2 different scales, for example a viewport with an overall view and another viewport with a closeup view,  is draw everything 'life size' in modelspace. Then from a layout tab, create two separate viewports such as VP-1 and VP-2. The first VP would be zoomed out so the entire object (or plan) will be seen. The second VP would be a tighter view, focusing in on a particular part of your object (or a specific portion of the overall scene).

In essence, everything drawn in modelspace is life size and true to scale, also commonly referred to as 1:1 scale.

<<Trying to do what you have explained in modelspace is not efficient and ignores the purpose of a viewport on a layout tab. Many users, including me, consider titleblocks and their accompanying VPs placed on a layout tab is a 'best practice.'>>

Your layout tab, not modelspace, should host your titleblock and your viewport. Your VP, when created, should be sized to fit within the borders of your titleblock. When your VP resides in paperspace on a layout tab then only the contents 'inside' the VP change when you zoom in and out, the VP itself doesn't resize during a zoom. You can consider the VP to be a magic window which allows you to peer inside and view the objects drawn in modelspace.

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

A good rule to follow is to have a separate layout for each sheet (drawing, in layman's terms), and a single title block on each layout (tab).

Create as many viewports, with as many different scales as you need on each layout, just be aware that "too many" can cause performance degradation. How many is too many? Your PC will tell you by slowing down when you zoom/pan/regen, etc.

Once you get used to this, you may want to look into using >sheet sets< to help keep things organized.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report