Treating Solidworks entity as a Solid

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
767 Views, 3 Replies

Treating Solidworks entity as a Solid

Hello,

I Imported a solidworks file properly into AutoCAD 2018, but as I'm interacting with it, the software cant seem to treat it as a traditional solid, although it appears to be one.  Does anyone know how I might be able to convert this to a traditional solid?  For instance, if I enter the command SOLIDEDIT, it prompts me to select a 3D solid.  When I select the imported entity, it denies the selection and issues the "select 3D solid" prompt again.

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I"ve tried commands "UNION", "CONVTOSOLID" and "CONVTOSURFACE". None of the commands seems to serve any good. Help??  I've attached the file for anyone who can help.

Message 3 of 4
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I answered this in your other thread.

I battled your Solidworks file for a bit. I found the quickest way of doing this conversion was to export the model to an IGES file, Open in Inventor and then saveas as a DWG.

Normally, I would use Smooth and then Surfsculpt or Union (which converts to a solid).  I was fighting this a bit and decided to take the quick route.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

My experience with SolidWork parts being imported is they come in as a block. So examine the property of the object and if indeed it is a block then explode it. I haven't imported SW assemblies so if that is what you imported it may be the components are then nested blocks which will then require further exploding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report