Did you mean: 

Tracing drawings

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
9100 Views, 7 Replies

Tracing drawings

I'm trying to make plans, elevations, and sections of a building.  I have all of those drawings in JPEG format with good resolution.  Is there any way for AutoCAD to create vectors from those lines automatically? The only alternative I can think of is to trace every line which would take several days to do.  

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
paullimapa
in reply to: Anonymous

Message 3 of 8
WarrenGeissler

Autodesk has a tool called Raster Design which does semi-automatic raster to vector conversion from within AutoCAD. If you have a suite or collection then you already have it. If you do not have it then you can get a 30-day trial here:

https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-raster-design/free-trial

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 4 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

If you can share one or two of your files I am happy to see how will it can be processed in Raster Design.

In my experience a conversion only partially handles the data and that some manual tracing/intervention is needed but perhaps this will get you moving faster.

It has been quite a while since i tried this in Illustrator but back in the days it worked OK.  I used to have problems with plines with widths using Illustrator to AutoCAD but perhaps it has gotten better.

At any rate, I am happy to give this a try for you.

If your file needs to be private, you can email to john.vellek@autoesk.com. If you can attach to a post though that is preferable because this Community forum is awesome and I am sure that someone smarter and faster will beat me to the finish 🙂

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 8
parkr4st
in reply to: john.vellek

largely depends on the needed final product.  the conversion will not likely be accurate or precise enough for cutting parts but may be good enough for conceptual presentation.  Scaling, skewing, and defects in the original all will need correcting to get anywhere close to accurate.

If the images are of drafted work, try to get the drafted work. 

MHO

dave

Message 6 of 8
Corsten.Au
in reply to: parkr4st

Hi

If you have a PDF file created from Autocad, then you might convert that PDF to Autocad pretty easily..

but you mentioned JPEG file with plan, elevation etc.. its tough for a software to extract various elements are 

various elements are flattened out..

Get some to draft it for you..

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you everyone for the responses. I have given Illustrator a try, but got a lot of awkward lines with hardly any 90 corners. Raster design worked fairly well. I just had to go in and do a lot of trimming/extending. Thanks again!
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report