Did you mean: 

Text, Polylines and Blocks Count + Export to excel compatible file

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2790 Views, 5 Replies

Text, Polylines and Blocks Count + Export to excel compatible file

Goof afternoon,

I have never programmed in AutoLisp, so I have no idea on how to extract the following data from any drawing:

1. Text: My idea is to have in my drawing some details callouts and I want the AutoCad to actually count all the texts, and to provide me a list of the texts included and the number of ocurrences. My final objective is to grab this exported file, read it using excel and to create a simple subroutine with a material list (also in excel) and crossreference them , in order to get a detailed MTO (material take off). For example, if I labeled my power receptables as REC1 (480V), netweork connection points as REC2 and standard receptables as REC3 (120V), I want AutoCAD to prepare a list of all the different text labels used (in this case REC1, REC2 and REC3) and to give me a count of the ocurrences. With that file exported in a format that excel can understand I will create my own subroutines.

2. Polylines: My idea is the following: I want to create a kind of smart cable routing drawing. I will assign to each polyline a tag, and I need Autcad to provide a list of tags with the polyline associated per tag distance, in order to have a good estimate of cable length to buy. So if I have three conduits tagged as C1, C2 and C3, associated to different polylines (let's suppose a mtext justified to the center aligned to the center point of the polyline) and I want to have a file that excel can understand where I can see: C1 with X ft, C2 with Y ft and C3 with Z ft, for example.

3. Blocks: I need a subroutine that would allow me to count different blocks and provide an excel file with the quantities. The goal is somewhat similar to point 1.

My former company had some old subroutines that I couldnt copy, and my new job does not have any of these handy tools and everything needs to be done on foot, if you know what I mean.

Where could I find the required AutoLisp resources? Can anyone with experience provide them to me?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

I'm using AutoCAD 2012, but we'll migrate our systems to 2015 at the mid (or the end) of this year. Therefore I would need a 2012 compatible lisps. But if you have them in 2015 that would also help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sthompson1021
in reply to: Anonymous

Unless I am missing the mark on what you want, you do not need to use LISP. Lookup the command DATAEXTRACTION in the help file. If you set up your drawings with blocks and attributes you should be able to get  everything you mentioned.

Message 3 of 6
3wood

Furthermore, you can use BCOUNT to count blocks; put different cables on different layers before using DATAEXTRACTION.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: 3wood

I am looking for a command that will take a drawing from our customers The problems is we need to convert texts and blocks in the same drawing. Do you now a select all button for text and blocks together.
Message 5 of 6
3wood

@Anonymous wrote:
I am looking for a command that will take a drawing from our customers The problems is we need to convert texts and blocks in the same drawing. Do you now a select all button for text and blocks together.

Not sure what kind of conversion you need.

Can you upload an example drawing / screenshot showing "before" and "after"?

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: 3wood

We are trying to find faster was to extract data from a drawing. The problem is people use Autocad many was.  This drawig is using blocks text, mtext. We need a command that will select all different kinds text and give us a line item parts list. Example: 1. RC (NAME)    5 (QTY) We are using Autocad 13. Will the newer versions help solve this problem.Thank.  Darryl

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report