Did you mean: 

Tables linked to excel not updating

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
niallhannondesign
3772 Views, 4 Replies

Tables linked to excel not updating

Hi guys,
I am trying to link tables from excel to my drawing, and maintain the link. The goal is that only the excel is ever edited, and the changes will carry through to Autocad.
Issue is that I have to scale up and change the font size of the table once I bring it in to Autocad to suit my drawing size. As soon as I do, the table will no longer update with changes made to the excel, despite showing a "linked" symbol. How can I scale the table without losing all of the link-ability?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a screenshot of the excel table layout for your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Niall

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
S.Faris
in reply to: niallhannondesign

Refer to this article : Microsoft Excel OLE does not update in AutoCAD when columns or rows added 

also this : Updating Excel file in autocad (this might be what you are looking for)

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 3 of 5

Hi,

i suggest to try DATALINKUPDATE (Command) >> Click << , and you can automatically update the link when the file is opened as described here . >> Click 1 <<

Message 4 of 5

A couple of thoughts that may help:

1) set up a table style that contains the fonts, text sizes, cell styles etc. that you want, then use that table style when creating the data link about table styles this will eliminate scaling issues later, since the table is the size you want

2) place the table in model space, then use VP scaling in paper space to display the table at varying "sizes / scales" for any scales you need other than 1:1

3) for each data link you need to use, create and use a named range in your excel file , then link your table to this named range. If you need to add rows or columns, insert them into an area within your named range, then edit cells as needed. This will ensure that the data link to AutoCAD will remain valid. The table may still need tweaking to get all to look right after an update, but the link should remain connected. Set up all formulas, calcs, etc. in Excel, and convert data formats to text in AutoCAD, this should ensure a consistent text display in the dwg table.

This method works well for me, and has for quite a few years now. Hope it helps you out.

Message 5 of 5

Just copy the excel file to your clipboard, and use command pastspec in AutoCAD to paste it as a link.  Now when your excel file is updated, it will reflect the changes in your dwg. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost