Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces From Coordiante Point Files only in Civil 3D: Yes or No?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
imusulin1
282 Views, 6 Replies

Surfaces From Coordiante Point Files only in Civil 3D: Yes or No?

Hi All,

I am trying to find how to import coordinate points to AutoCAD and create a (terain) surface needed for the solar modelling.

Surface.JPG

The tutorials I found online all show examples in AutoCAD 3D Civil. Is this the only tool this can be done in? 

Unfortunately, I do not have Civil 3D in my subscription. Can this be done in any other AutoCAD?

These are the Products I have available:

Sub.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I cannot answer your question because I do not have Civil3D; however I wrote some AutoCAD software many years ago that will produce a TIN (Triangular Irregular Network) from AutoCAD points or from a file of coordinates.

From you picture you are looking for a TIN with contour lines.

In what form is your data?  Just a list of X,Y,Z coordinates?

If all you have is AutoCAD, what are you going to do with the drawing once you produce the TIN or whatever type of surface you need?

Message 3 of 7
imusulin1
in reply to: imusulin1

The data is in xyz format (csv, txt, etc. I can easily transfer if needed)

The data is coordinates and elevation. It will be used for solar design. The add on I'm using for that needs that type of mesh. The contour lines are not needed, just a mesh.

I did transfer the first one using trial version of Civil 3D. Not have another terain data, and the trial is expired so I am wondering if I can generate a mesh in the standard AutoCAD or any other Product in my subscription. 

Message 4 of 7

Unless you've got a plugin that will do it, you'll either need C3D, or maybe make the surface manually by clicking each point

Message 5 of 7

So what sort of mesh  is your add on looking for, just a group of 3DFACEs, or a proprietary Civil3D mesh or terrain model, or ??

Message 6 of 7

It just needs TIN mesh

Message 7 of 7

Try the attached DWG file and see if your add on can use it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report