STL files resolution

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
25108 Views, 14 Replies

STL files resolution

Hello,

When I export a 3D solid into a stl file, curved surfaces are approximated by several straight faces. I suppose it happens during the conversion. I want to have something smoother so is it possible to change the resolution of the stl file? Is there a command for that?

I use Autocad 2017.

Thank you,

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no option to tweak stl when export from autocad.

Message 3 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

turn FACETRES to 10 (max value, lower it if your file is too large).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

How is this issue proceeding? Did you get the answers here that you needed? Please post an update.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Did this get worked out?  Here is an AKN Article that describes in more detail, the suggestion offered by @Alfred.NESWADBA

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 15
gvi17a
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Gracias, tenía el mismo problema y dudaba si era cosa de AutoCAD o de mis programadas de delaminado 3D. Ahora sé que el fallo era del AutoCAD al exportar a STL y lo he solucionado de manera sencilla y rápida. Muchas gracias

Message 7 of 15
mikelynch
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

My faceres was set to 0.5, changing it to 5.0 solved sovled my problem & my 3D print is so much nicer now; I suspect setting it to 10 will make it superb 🙂 ... thanks Alfred
Message 8 of 15
jcorley9U7TL

I'm getting something weird.

Facetres=10

Facetdev=1000

Shape in Autocad

jcorley9U7TL_1-1627703168919.png

Shape in Chitubox (my slicer)

jcorley9U7TL_0-1627703109692.png

I've export several items that look normal in the slicer AND printed perfectly fine.

This one clearly has something wrong with it!

Message 9 of 15
jcorley9U7TL

a short follow-up: I sliced the object and exported the 'halves' by stlout.

the 'bottom' half (left, with the hole) looks fine, but the top half (right, upside down) is jagged. same setting and exported seconds apart.

jcorley9U7TL_0-1627742289128.png

Message 10 of 15

Hi,

>> Facetdev=1000

Which type of AutoCAD do you have? Because Vanilla AutoCAD does not have this variable.

Even if you have Civil 3D (or any vertical which supports this var) a smaller value creates better curvature, not a bigger value.

>> I sliced the object and exported the 'halves' by stlout

The only reason I could imaging is that the objects are created at high coordinates and after slicing one of the objects reached a limit.

If FACETRES does not create a really round object (which STL can't, because it contains triangles and no real curved objects) you can create better result by scaling the object you have to a bigger object in AutoCAD, then export to STL and later in your slicer scale it back.

But take care, the number of triangles could kill the performance of the slicer, slicing will take much more time then.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 15
jcorley9U7TL

Civil 3D 2020, I've tried high and low values of facetdev with no difference.

Object base was way off near my local state plane coordinates!! How that happened, I have no clue.

Moved everything to 0,0,0 and it fixed itself!

Thank you Alfred! 

Message 12 of 15

thank you very much :d worked like a charm 

Message 13 of 15

It worked perfectly, thanks!

Message 14 of 15

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
Message 15 of 15

That solved the issue for me - thank you so much. I was going crazy I could not find a solution anywhere.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost