Did you mean: 

Spot Elevation Block - Z Coordinate

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
zcaruolo
5281 Views, 6 Replies

Spot Elevation Block - Z Coordinate

I'm trying to create a spot elevation block in 2D CAD. Ideally the block would contain a crosshair or point locating the spot and text which displays the elevation. I got halfway there by drawing a point then creating a text object with a field that reads the Z location of the point. You can modify the z coordinate by inputting the value in the properties menu... it will then update the text object. However, when i group the two elements as a block they lose their associated link so changing the z position in the properties menu no longer updates the text. Does anyone know how to fix this issue to accomplish what i'm trying to do or have any insight on a better what to achieve this? 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: zcaruolo

Hi @zcaruolo,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Try this block and let me know if it works for you.

It has a block nested inside it for the point geometry symbol. It also contains an attribute with a field linked to the z position of the nested block.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 7
john.vellek

HI zcaruolo,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 7
zcaruolo
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

Yes, the block you created does work perfectly. I am about to edit it in order to sync it with my firm's graphic standards, text size, etc. Could you briefly list the steps you followed to create the block? It would be beneficial in case editing doesn't work as expected, I can recreate it on my own.

Thanks so much for your prompt response to this issue! It was my first time reaching out to the autodesk community for a problem... i'll certainly be doing it more often and recommending the same for others.

Thanks,

Zac

Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi Zac,

I am glad it worked for you. I have made a Screencast video for you that shows you how I first create teh geometry and make it a block. I then use Attdef to create the text and use a field to capture the z position. I make another block that contains the first block and my attribute.

I am happy that the Community proved to be a good resource for you. I enjoy working here and value all the contributions made by so many Community members.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 7
zcaruolo
in reply to: john.vellek

Fantastic! Thanks John. I'll let you know if I have any additional questions.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

very helpful so far!!! When I edit my block I get a white box with my z position elev value, how do I turn that box off?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta