Did you mean: 

Shortcut Key N vs CTRL N is a PIA - help please

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
s60088g
518 Views, 6 Replies

Shortcut Key N vs CTRL N is a PIA - help please

'Having trouble when I type my commands - I often hit N instead of M for move.  And the stupid menu key F1 instead of Esc.  I've changed the function for F1 to also be Escape but it's not behaving this way; it still brings the Help file.  Also, why does N bring up a new file dialogue box when the command is set to be CTRL+N ?

CUI.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Patchy
in reply to: s60088g

Follow the instruction on F1 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK5ozkDl730

If N key is not being used for any command, make both N and M for MOVE  in the .pgp ☺ ☺

Don't remove that F1 key; make it work to your advantage. I'm going to show you a much easier way to take control of the F1 key and convert it to something that's a little more friendly. For more CAD tips, visit http://www.cadalyst.com.
Message 3 of 7
s60088g
in reply to: Patchy

Thank you.  I had done this already and renamed it but perhaps this is why it wasn't working (??).  It works now that I redid the process.  I type all of my commands so I need M (not N for stupid new file).  I attempted to change the function associated with N.  I would like for it to do nothing.  I changed the shortcut for New File to be Shift+F but unfortunately, N is still bringing up the New File dialogue box.

Message 4 of 7
ВeekeeCZ

Go to the big A upper left menu, type pgp, edit the file... locate N, ...

And about F1... if you have 18+ acad version you won't remove HELP functionality for good. It's broken.

The only option is to change the keyboard layout entirely using THIS tool.

BTW consider changing the keyboard to one that will fit you better.

Message 5 of 7
s60088g

Thanks for the reply.  I was about to get F1 to stop pulling up the Help file.  I used your method of pgp edit.  I found N and instead of *NEW, I changed it to be * only.  N still brings up the New File box.  I deleted N entirely from the list and the New File diag box still pops up.  What should I be changing N to? 

Message 6 of 7
ВeekeeCZ

Either remove the line entirely,

or put a semicolon as the very first character of the line

or simply change NEW to MOVE

then you need to use REINIT to reload the pgp or simply close and relaunch the ACAD

Message 7 of 7
s60088g

I see.  Removing it completely didn't work but relaunching Acad worked.   Thank you!  Oh and we use Acad 2018 LT here unfortunately but the Help file is staying at bay.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report