Setting up .ctb file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
nikolP4PFF
1618 Views, 7 Replies

Setting up .ctb file

Hi,

I use autocadlt 2022 on my mac. I'm trying to set up a template or master file for repeated use when starting a project. I set up 26 layers each assigned with it's own DIC color, I set the line weights in the layers. I now want to create a .ctb file to use for printing, but when I try to set up the colors I use for the layers I don't see them in the plot style manager. How can I add the dic colors I selected for my layers to the plot style options, or how do I know the colors I've selected for the layers are in the plot style?

thanks

Labels (5)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Valentin-WSP
in reply to: nikolP4PFF

@nikolP4PFF ,

Welcome to the AutoCAD forum.

Consider the AutoCAD for Mac Forum (LINK).

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 3 of 8
Patchy

Have you tried to click on the arrow?

That's where you set the colors (for windows versions)

If not, ask the Mac forum.

z1.JPGz2.JPG

Message 4 of 8
nikolP4PFF
in reply to: Patchy

I see those color options in plot styles, but those are not the color options when I'm setting the layers color. I'm seeing colors listed as DIC ###. which does not correspond to the plot styles list. Not sure if this is a mac problem vs pc, but would like to be able to set the layers in colors that I can then set for the ctb

Message 5 of 8
jrreid

So your template file / Start up file is where you are setting up your layers for pen thickness, color, etc.

It sounds like you don't want to Plot using Plot Styles. Normally I always let my CTB say what thickness, color to print and select plot using plot styles.

But either way, you need to open your template file, set your layers (thickness, colors, linetypes, etc), set your printer settings  (paper size, landscape, scale, etc.)  Your CTB could be set to None since your are not using this to drive your pens colors and weights.  Be sure to uncheck Plot with Plot Styles.

Now TEST plot your drawing to be sure your settings are correct. If so....

Now SAVEAS a DWT file if you want this for your start template or keep as DWG and open each time.  Set your Template file in your Options settings to match your DWT file name.

Now each time you start a new drawing you should be setup and ready.

Hope this helps. If so please press accepted solution.

JRR.

Message 6 of 8
nikolP4PFF
in reply to: jrreid

That was a very good answer. very helpful. So you're saying I shouldn't be using a ctb? 

I am using the line weights as set in the layers, but I want most colors to either print in black or shade of grey with some colors coming through, do I set this by using a ctb to print? I need to maintain the 26 layers, and still want to have a clean and easily decipherable workspace, so setting each layer to a color shade is important. 

Message 7 of 8
jrreid

No. You misunderstood me. I use CTB for all my printing.

Have your CTB drive your pen colors and thickness.

It is so much easier to set up and keep standards the same vs each drawing controlling what the pen colors and thickness.

For the Layers Properties Manager, it would read for Lineweight as Default. This would then read your CTB settings.

Be sure then to select Plot with Plot Styles.

Hope this helps. If so please press accepted solution.

JRR.

Message 8 of 8
pendean

@ nikolP4PFF See the response from the dedicated AutoCAD4MAC forum https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/setting-up-ctb-file/m-p/10655954#M42123

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report