Did you mean: 

Select inside a closed polyline

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Kevin.0rtiz22
760 Views, 4 Replies

Select inside a closed polyline

Hi I was wondering if there was any existing command that allowed me to select everything inside a circle, square, rectangle, etc. any closed polyline, basically.

Like for example, let’s say I have a map, the city map, and I draw a circle in certain area and use the command EXTRIM to cut everything outside of that circle, so now that I have everything cut, I would like to select everything that’s left inside the circle.

Is there any way I can do that?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

City map=>draw a circle=>EXTRIM=>select circle=>click outside circle=>parts of map outside circle are gone and only the map parts inside the circle and the circle itself remain. Is this correct?

Delete the circle used as the cutting edge=>use a crossing window to select the the objects inside your circle. Done.

Is that it? What am I missing?

Did you forget to mention something, such as something critical, that would make this procedure wrong?

It seems like you are trying to hide information and that's not good especially if you want a viable solution.

What parts of the city map do you want to select? (Please be honest, not evasive.)

What are your plans once you have the desired objects properly selected? (Please be forthcoming for best answers.)

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 5

I'm not trying to hide information in any way, shape or form; I'm not trying to be evasive either, why would I want to hide information when I'm looking for a solution?

kevinraw_0-1654914708037.pngkevinraw_1-1654914764888.pngkevinraw_2-1654914820164.png

As you can tell in the pictures, even though I am using the EXTRIM command, it only cuts the lines or polylines that directly intersect with the circle; it does not cut any other lines. Now, imagine that, but at a larger scale; that's why I gave the example of the map in the original post.

If I wanted to select only the remaining lines inside of that circle (without manually having to do it, of course) how could I do it? (if there's even a way)

Message 4 of 5
imadHabash
in reply to: Kevin.0rtiz22

Hi,

What you're asking for , NOT existing in AutoCAD .. But with outsource lisp or plugin you will reach for your need .. I suggest to try this lisp that may help . >> Click << 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Of course there's way, but there are conditions you must satisfy beforehand.

1. Your linework dwg must be added as an Xref.
  2. Use the CLIPIT command, not EXTRIM.

Start with a brand new or an existing drawing then add your linework as an xref. Next, use an existing polyline, circle, arc, ellipse or text object for a clipping edge. You may also draw a brand new clipping object if you don't want to use an existing one. 

Here's a video that demonstrates how it's done.

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report