Did you mean: 

Seeing nothing when importing shp fle

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
john_daues
3305 Views, 10 Replies

Seeing nothing when importing shp fle

In Insert > Map Import, I select the file. Then I set the coordinate system to UTM83-13 and click OK.

And .. nothing.

What do I need to do?

I've attached 3 files (the max). To reproduce, you might need 2  more, an xml file and shx file. Not sure.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Liesl_H
in reply to: john_daues

Hello, you will also need .idx, .prj, .shp and .shx files. Not just .dbf.

Message 3 of 11
john_daues
Message 4 of 11
Liesl_H

You need to create object data first - see below

a.PNGb.PNG

Message 5 of 11
ChicagoLooper

Shapefile consists of four components:

1. shp: This is the geometry, it could be point or line or polygon, (Shapefile cannot be a combination. A shapefile can only be one 'class.')
  2. dbf: This is the database file. It consists of data attributes which are typically displayed and viewed in Table Format neatly arranged in rows and columns. A data column is also referred to as a Field.
  3. prj: This is the 'projection' and tells where the geometry will  plop down in modelspace. It is a 'specifically written' coordinate system. Coordinate systems are stored in AutoCad's Coordinate System Library. (Imagine modelspace represents the surface of the Earth. The role of the prj is to instruct AutoCad to put the geometry down here and not over there.)
  4. shx: This is the shape index. You can select a geometric object and  the row in the database table will be highlighted. You can also select a row in the database and the geometry itself will be highlighted. The ability to go forward and reverse (geometry-to-data and data-to-geometry) is the role of the shx.

<<Other components might be present but they are not mandatory. If AutoCad needs one of those files, it will create or re-create a new one on its own without any reminder by you.)

To see your imported line, try this:

Start from a brand new, clean template. You can use MAPIMPORT command to bring in your line. Verify the shapefile's native coordinate system (in your case it's UTM83-13 north zone, meters) is displayed in the MapImport window under the Input Coordinate System column. (You can verify the native CS by opening the prj with NotePad.) You may, or may not, elect to 'create object data' during the import porcess, it's up to you. Click OK to execute the command. Zoom extents to see your imported line work.

1.png

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
john_daues
in reply to: Liesl_H

How do you get the window "Attribute Data"?
Message 7 of 11
ChicagoLooper

Use MAPIMPORT command. From there, you can get to 'Create Object Data' here.

2.png

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
ATB-WBA

I am confused. This forum sub division is supposedly for AutoCAD, not AutoCAD Maps. I am trying to work out if a GIS ESRI-shp file etc can be opened, imported etc into "AutoCAD" not any other version, just "AutoCAD". I see a few places on line that suggest it is possible in AutoCAD 2022 which I have installed, but i cannot seem to do it myself. For example this conversation says I can type the command MAPIMPORT but regular plain AutoCAD says that command does not exist. So I am starting to think that this conversation is really about AutoCAD Map 3D and not AutoCAD even though its in that subcatagory. Is that correct? Is it "only" possible to open and view a shp file in AutoCAD Map 3D?
Is there a way to transfer the info once opened in Maps 3D to AutoCAD so I can draft architecture in place?

Message 9 of 11
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: ATB-WBA

You can 'open' (actually its 'connect to' a shapefile not open) a shapefile using Map3D or Civil3D. Plain vanilla AutoCad does NOT have the capability to 'open' a shapefile. Shapefiles are geospatial entities that are associated databases.

When using either Map3D or Civil3D you may use the MAPIMPORT command on shapefiles. This command will convert the shapefile object from 'feature data objects' to plain vanilla AutoCad objects or entities. If the feature class is a point class then the conversion will be Acad points. If the feature class is lines, the the conversion will result in Acad polylines, And if the feature class is polygonal, or areas, then the conversion will be Acad polygons.

The shapeffile can only be one Feature Class, that means either point, line OR polygon. If more than one Feature Class has been combined by an author, then the combination would be considered a Geodatabase or gdb. Both Map3D and Civil3D have the capability to 'open' gdb's but there is a 'condition' that must be meet before doing so.

<<Experienced users of gdb's know this condition: you must have a valid ESRI ArcGIS of Arc Pro license installed on your computer. Inexperienced users commonly overlook this condition. In the absence of a licensed computer the gdb connection cannot be made.>>

Once a connection has been made to a gdb, Map3D/Civil3D can pull out (or extract) 'a' feature class from the gdb. The extracted feature class can then be saved as a shapefile. And once you have 'a' shapefile, the MAPIMPORT command can then be used to convert the object linework (or points) to plain vanilla objects such as polylines.  

The general sequence of steps to 'open' a shapefile would be to execute MAPIMPORT to 'convert' from feature data objects to plain vanilla entities. Once the objects have been converted, you may save the drawing as an xref with a 'dwg' extension. You may also copy from this xref and paste to your working drawing. More advanced users can perform QUERIES on the newly saved and converted Acad entities. The QUERY function and MAPIMPORT command are only available in Map3D and Civil3D. Plain vanilla AutoCad does not have the horsepower to perform geospatial operations or connect to shapefiles.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
TerryDotson

If your client does not have Map3D (or Civil3d) I can see why you cannot use Map3D as the non graphical data comes in as Map3D Object Data and cannot be accessed outside of those packages.

However, plain AutoCAD will need an add-on to import ShapeFile content.  The DotSoft GeoLocPlus is a very low cost add-on that does this and a lot more.

Message 11 of 11
ChicagoLooper

@ATB-WBA wrote:

<<I am confused. This forum sub division is supposedly for AutoCAD, not AutoCAD Maps. I am trying to work out if a GIS ESRI-shp file etc can be opened, imported etc into "AutoCAD" not any other version, just "AutoCAD".>>

You are correct, this forum is AutoCAD, or plain vanilla AutoCAD. Although this post might make it seem as though the issue can be resolved using AutoCAD exclusively, it can't. The answers provided in this thread assume the user, in this case the OP, has access to either Map3D or Civil3D. At the very least, the OP must know someone, such as a coworker, who is familiar with Map3D/Civil3D and is willing to offer assistance.

One of the easiest ways to 'open' a shapefile is using Google Earth Pro. Years ago, it was a 'paid' program. Now it can be downloaded at no charge. Just use an internet search engine to find it, download and install.

<<Don't confuse Google Earth Pro with Google Maps that you open with your browser. GE Pro is a completely different, stand alone program.>>

From GE Pro go to File=>Import=>Change files of Type to ESRI Shape (*shp)=>Browse to and select your shapefile=>Open. (Depending on the size of your shapefile, you may have to wait a minute or two for the shapefile to appear.) Use the Places Panel on the left side to control the shapefile's visibility. 

Note: All shapefiles consists of minimum components (All four extensions must have the same 'name' and be saved in the same Windows folder):

1. shp
  2. dbf
  3. prj
  4. shx

Although 'opening' a shapefile in GE Pro may not solve your specific problem, the procedure will give you the option to 'open' a shapefile. Most importantly, it gives you the option to 'view' the geometry (linework) in a geospatial context.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report