Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recent file list in AutoCAD task bar icon

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
2733 Views, 16 Replies

recent file list in AutoCAD task bar icon

The "recent" file list when I right-click the AutoCAD icon in my task bar only lists .dxf files. No .dwg files show up.  Is there any way for me to change this so that my recent .dwg files will be listed?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

It sounds like you must have recently opened a bunch of DXF files!

I think this list only includes recent files opened by double-clicking on a file in an Explorer folder listing.  Would that explain it?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: dmfrazier

No, hardly any dxf files.  It's just that they are all that show up.  Once I'm in the program and go to the recent list by clicking on the AutoCAD icon in the top left corner, all the files listed are .dwg.  But if the application is closed and I right-click on the icon in the task bar at the bottom of my screen, the only files listed are .dxf.  If I clear the list nothing shows up and it will remain empty no matter how many .dwg files I open, and regardless of *how* I open them--I often open .dwg files by clicking on them from the Explorer list--until I open a .dxf.  This is my point. *Only* .dxf files show up in that recent files window. Ever.  And I would like to change this if there is a way.

Message 4 of 17
dmfrazier

Ah, I misunderstood that you meant you have AutoCAD "pinned" to the taskbar.

I don't normally "pin" things to the taskbar, but when I just did it, I also see a list of files that doesn't make much sense to me: one DWT and a DXF.

Could it be that the "pinned" MRU list is based on "output", rather than what you have opened?  Does that make any sense?

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Mmm...yes that does make sense.  All the .dxf files listed are ones I have created using the command line "dxfout" for files to be sent to our laser cutting vendor.  So the question still remains: is there a way to change this?

Message 6 of 17
dmfrazier

It makes sense, yet doesn't make sense.

I don't know the answer, but I will do some investigating...

Message 7 of 17
dmfrazier

Based on a Microsoft Developer Network article on the subject of Windows 7 Taskbar Extensions (including "Jump Lists"):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378460(v=vs.85).aspx#jump_lists

I am going to guess that AutoCAD 2010's implementation of this feature is "less than perfect", or they may have decided to customize it in some way.  (Did Win 7 exist when AutoCAD 2010 was released?  I can't remember.)

Comparing 2010's behavior to 2013's, it looks like it was "fixed" in 2013 (or possibly 2011/2012, which I have never used)).  In fact, when I pin AutoCAD 2013 to the taskbar, the list of Recent associated documents seems to contain every file I've ever opened! (As I remove items from the list, the list just keeps scrolling up new items!  I've removed about fifty so far, and there's no end in sight.)

So, perhaps your only recourse is to upgrade.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

Well, *that* ain't going to happen, so I guess I'm SOL.  Thanks for checking it out. 

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Hey,

I had this same problem today and found a solution finally! and its a very simple solution. 

Just drag and drop one .dwg file on the pinned task-bar shortcut. It starts remembering again.

Let me know if it works!

Message 10 of 17
RobDraw

This thread was from over five years ago. I certainly hope the issue was resolved in that time.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

The only way I was able to resolve the issue was by updating to a newer version of AutoCAD.
Message 12 of 17
dmfrazier

That's what it's all about. Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

yeah, might be helpful for someone, someday day in future Smiley LOL

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

Funny enough I just updated to 2020 and just started having this problem.

Message 15 of 17
pendean

There is something unique about your installation or migration from an older version that is triggering it, its not being reported heavily in these forums to day in most versions.

A quicker alternative than removing and reinstalling all your autocad versions is to simply log into your PC with an all new user account with admin rights and test the installed software as is.

Message 16 of 17
pdonald001

2024 here...
Message 17 of 17
j-.b

Just updated to 2024. No Jumplist were being created. Spent an hour looking for the solution. Even deleted the Jumplist data from the recents folder. Rebooted. Still no list. then tried EATLURI's suggestion of drag and drop. That worked! Thanks EATLURI.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report