Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re How do i check if my drawing has UTM co-ordinates?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1683 Views, 5 Replies

re How do i check if my drawing has UTM co-ordinates?

I have AutoCAD 2019-educational version.  I have a topo map of a dam and I am trying to match it with google earth so I can view the structure of google earth.  However, it does not match and is always off by 90 degrees, 180 degrees or by a few 100 metres.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  I am new to the software and would appreciate any guidance please.  Many thanks. James

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
parkr4st
in reply to: Anonymous

CoorSys.jpg

look at the bottom of the map.  the coordinate system is shown.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: parkr4st

Its says Drawing Co-ordinates. I believe I need to change them to UTM?
Message 4 of 6
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Anonymous

Where is the dam? City, State, nearest major road intersection? What is the name of the topo map? What's is the map's source? Can you paste a link or the topo map itself? 

In order to 'match' Google Earth (or Bing aerial imagery) you need two things:

1. Your topo map must be georeferenced when you bring it into Map 3D. If you map contains geospatial info, then it will know where to position itself in your map. (Imagine the modelspace represents the surface of the Earth. Your map must know where to go with respect to the equator and North Pole, otherwise your topo map may end up in the middle of the ocean.)
  2. You will need to assign an appropriate coordinate system (CS) to your map. Appropriate means the CS must be applicable to your area. You can't assign a Florida CS when your map is targeting California.

Typically, topo maps, such as those downloaded from the USGS are in UTM. Your modelspace, however, can be in State Plane Coordinate System (SPCS). Map 3D will transfrom the topo map's geo-reference, the map's UTM, to your map's coordinate system or assigned SPCS.

BTW, you'll get more traction in the Map 3D forum, not this one.

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 6
parkr4st
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

OP.  Tell us what autocad version you have.  plain vanilla AC my not have the  capability you ask for.

dave

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: parkr4st

Thanks. It’s Autocad 2019 student version

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta