Quick mouse buttons

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
dvrVSNMW
11157 Views, 12 Replies

Quick mouse buttons

Hello,

is it possible to add actions u use a lot, like "line" and "move" and "copy" to specific mouse buttons.

If this is possible I am thinking of buying me a mouse with a lot of buttons like this one: 

Is that possible cause that would increase my work speed a lot. If you know what I am trying to explain?

thx!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
lequangvinhbkhn
in reply to: dvrVSNMW

I don't think it will be much faster. Too many shortcuts can make you confused and mistaken.

__________________________ Architecture in Phuong Vinh Company, chuyen thiet ke nha ong Hai Phong, thiết kế nội thất shop mỹ phẩm va thiet ke noi that Hai Phong

Message 3 of 13
dvrVSNMW
in reply to: lequangvinhbkhn

I appreciate your concern but that is not my question. 

Message 4 of 13
RobDraw

Yes, programmable mouse buttons do help with productivity. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 13
pendean

Only if your mouse driver lets you do that: AutocAD has not ability to see those mouse buttons.

You will need to identify what your options in the mouse driver are for each of those buttons, then program each of those functions (not mouse buttons) as commands in CUI command in AutoCAD.
Most o the time all you end up doing is programming keyboard keys and assigning them to the buttons, which begs the question why would you not use those keyboard shortcuts anyway 🙂

Start digging.
Message 6 of 13
dvrVSNMW
in reply to: pendean

True.

I did found the "user interface" but I don't quiet get it...

The main thing is the escape button, it is far away... I like use it over 100 times a day so that would be supernice if I could link that to a mouse button...

Message 7 of 13
pendean

That's one of the easiest and most popular options to add to a custom mouse button: tap the HELP button on your mouse driver interface or go to that manufacturer for support if it is hard to decipher.

Note: Under some circumstances in AutoCAD a long hold down of the right-click button is the same as *cancel*, a free feature already there for most mouse users.

Q: are you one-handed, or left handed? I'm only asking since most of us are able to have one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard and that ESC key is not that far from the non-mouse hand.

Message 8 of 13
dvrVSNMW
in reply to: pendean

I am two handed, mouse in right hand. But sometimes I have my left hand on my face or somewhere except my keyboard. And the the escape button is far. And sometimes I am lazy 2...

Thx for the info so far 😉

Message 9 of 13
pendean

🙂
Message 10 of 13
Johanna_Esteban

Hello @dvrVSNMW , 

Well, I'm right-handed, keyboard to the left and mouse to the right, and although in my opinion ESC is not that far away, if some clade abbreviations like AL, is on the other side of the world lol, I do everything possible to simplify the time you spend moving your hand to write a command, in a small way, but if you multiply those small times by thousands of files ... it's worth it.

I have a Logitech Master MX 2S mouse, and it really changed my life, one of the great advantages of these mice is that you can program a specific function for each button, for each program, so it is a huge help.

The software supplied by the supplier is available for each reference and that is where you configure each detail, at your whim.

I do not know the mouse you want to buy, but check the specifications, features, compatibility with windows and mac for example, the precision of movement, bluetooth conection, etc. They are not very cheap but they are worth it.

A plus that has the mouse of the image, are the small pieces with which you can adjust the weight of the mouse so that you feel much more comfortable.

I hope to resolve your concern.

Regards.

Johanna Esteban

EESignature

Autodesk Expert Elite | Autodesk Certified Professional | AutoCAD Customer Council (Beta Tester for Windows & Mac)

¿Te ha parecido útil este post? ¡Dame Kudos! 😉
Si ha sido resuelta tu inquietud, selecciona 'Marcar como solución' para que otros usuarios la encuentren fácilmente.

Message 11 of 13
dvrVSNMW
in reply to: Johanna_Esteban

Hey @Johanna_Esteban 

Thx for the reply. I do have the MX master 2S at the moment. 

Can u pls explain short how u set up your mouse buttons? How do u use it within autocad? Do you have the escape-button assigned to your mouse or how did you use ur extra buttons in autocad?

regards,

DVR

Message 12 of 13
Johanna_Esteban

Hello @dvrVSNMW , 

I have attached a screencast showing you how I have configured it, I do not have ESC currently assigned to any button, but I do display styles and View commands that I use most to move quickly in 3D, since I have to model all the time and move to search an icon every time I want to change my view then ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

The idea is not to replace any existing Shorcut Key, so you do not have conflicts if you want to export them to another PC, or save them as backup.

When customizing I try to use close keys, to use only the left hand, for example for View, Left (Ctrl + Shift + E) I used the E that is closest to Ctrl and Shift and not the L that is on the other side of the keyboard and would imply remove my right hand from the mouse because the left does not work for more haha.

I used "Ctrl + Shift +" for almost any new one to not forget them, but you can assign what you want while there is not an existing one with assigned command. I leave you with the list of the ones I currently have:

Shotcut Keys.jpg

One more advantage of Shorcut Key, besides assigning it to the mouse, is that you can use it by keyboard always !.

Finally, the high of the savings (or laziness), in the pgp file I have added aliases to the commands (without replacing existing ones where possible), to avoid going through the keyboard.

PGP file.jpg

After adding them to the pgp, save and close them.

Then you use REINIT and check PGP file to take the new ones.

I hope you can greatly simplify your times.

Regards, 

Johanna Esteban

EESignature

Autodesk Expert Elite | Autodesk Certified Professional | AutoCAD Customer Council (Beta Tester for Windows & Mac)

¿Te ha parecido útil este post? ¡Dame Kudos! 😉
Si ha sido resuelta tu inquietud, selecciona 'Marcar como solución' para que otros usuarios la encuentren fácilmente.

Message 13 of 13
dvrVSNMW
in reply to: Johanna_Esteban

@Johanna_Esteban 

Thank you very much for your good and detailed answer. It helped me a lot.

THX!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost