Did you mean: 

PROPERTIES OF BLOCKS

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
asherjoh
435 Views, 8 Replies

PROPERTIES OF BLOCKS

Is there a way to see the properties of blocks, with out having to open the block editor? Thank You.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cadffm
in reply to: asherjoh

Which properties?
Another dialog is BLOCK
and if you select a blockreference you can see some props in properties palette.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
asherjoh
in reply to: cadffm

When I hover over the block it only shows what later the block was created in. I would like to know what the parts of the block were drawn it. For example, I draw the parts of the block with layer 1. Then I create the block using layer a. When I hover for properties, It only shows layer a. So I have to enter block editor to see that the parts were made in layer 1. So I am trying to get the info without having to go into block editor. Thank You

Message 4 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@asherjoh wrote:

.... I draw the parts of the block with layer 1. Then I create the block using layer a. When I hover for properties, It only shows layer a. .... I am trying to get the info without having to go into block editor.

For an individual part of a Block, if you have full AutoCAD [not LT], paste this into the command line:

(cdr (assoc 8 (entget (car (nentsel)))))

That will give you the Layer on which the deepest-nested  piece you pick on was originally drawn.  So if you drew a toilet with parts on Layer 0, and Inserted that into an apartment layout on a plumbing Layer, and defined the apartment as a whole as a Block, and Inserted the apartment Block into a floor plan on a Layer for apartments, and Xref'd that floor plan into a drawing along with other floor plans, if you then use that code and pick a piece of the toilet, it will report Layer 0, not  either the Xref's or the apartments or the plumbing Layer.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 9
asherjoh
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

That works. Thank You.

Message 6 of 9
cadffm

Command XLIST from ExpressTools..

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
asherjoh

Very nice. Exactly what I need. Thank You 

Message 8 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@cadffm wrote:

Command XLIST from ExpressTools..

XLIST gets you a different result [which may be more what you want -- just be aware of the differences].  In the situation of a Layer-0 part of a toilet Block inside an apartment Block inside a floor plan Xref'd into another drawing, it gives the apartment-Block name and the Layer that's Inserted on inside the Xref.  And it reports more [the Block name, color, linetype].

It has a couple of drawbacks I notice in quickie trial:  It will not accept selection of anything that isn't  nested, whereas my little code string will report on a top-level object if that's what you pick on.  And even among nested things, it doesn't accept picking an Attribute [mine does].  And once you pick OK on its alert box, the information it reports is irretrievably gone, whereas with mine, the Layer it reports remains in the command line history.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 9
asherjoh
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks. You guys are way too good at this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report