Did you mean: 

polyface mash

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
531 Views, 8 Replies

polyface mash

Hi,

I have downloaded file with 3D buildings of some area and I need to make the section view from it. Unfortunatelly the building are not solids but Polyface meshes. I'm completly new to 3D in Autocad, I was always working just with 3ds max, so my knoledges are terrible.

I thought to use Sectionplane to make a section and then flatshot of the sectioned view to get the 2D view. But all the polyface mash are not showing in the 2D.

The only solution I found on internet was to explode everything and then convert it to surface and at the end use surfsculpt to convert it to solid. But the file is quite big and I hope there is some other, easier solution to get the proper 2D of the section.

Thank you a lot ofr your suggestions,

Jana

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I have downloaded file with 3D buildings of some area

Which file formats do you have there available, maybe another format to download already has objects like 3D-Solids.

Otherwise command _MESHOPTIONS (to convert to mesh) and then _SURFSCULPT seems to be the only chance (AFAIK).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you for your answer!

I can choose just between DWG, DGN, Shapefile multipatch, Shapefile polygonZ.

Message 4 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you upload all of them so we can play with that (or show us the link where we can download them)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Of course,
here is the link:
http://www.geoportalpraha.cz/cs/opendata/44EE8B0A-641A-45E8-8DC9-CF209ED00897#.XEb-IFxKiUm

I'm working with files BD3_Prah43.

Thank you a lot for help.

Message 6 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

sorry, I have looked into these datasources, I don't have a tool which can create 3D-Solids automatically from these simple face-like datasets.

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

These are the 3D models offerd by the city and often happens that we need to make some section of some area. (there is also terrain available to download). So I thought to use 3D instead of redrawing approximately the buildings in 2D. (In that way they used to do it in the studio untill now).

But working with such a huge 3D dwg is terrible, even if i delete all what I don't need. Saving is super slow, changing views or layouts takes too long.

Even so I think there should be some way how to use all this 3D data to simplify our work. But maybe I want too much. I would like to get section view with simple volumes and add, in layout,my 2D drawing of the building we are working on. 🙂

Message 8 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Even so I think there should be some way how to use all this

>> 3D data to simplify our work

The data is just build of 3D faces or simple meshes, at least multiple objects per building ==> and that is the source of the problem. If they would have created 3D-Solids you would be able to create sections, you would also be able to handle this geometry more easy.

To convert this mass of data means you first need to identify which face belongs to which object, then is it a wall, a roof or something else and then try to create an object from that ... maybe it is possible to write such a tool, but that needs some hours of development and is nothing I can do within a few minutes and not for free, sorry.

Best I could imagine is to ask the creator of that dataset which other formats might exist that is more easy to use for further editing.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you a lot for your detailed explanation! I'm sorry, as I mentioned, I'm very very newbie in autocad 3D so you helped me a lot to understand the differences and problems.
I wish you beautiful day and I approciate a lot that you spent so much time with my problem! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report