Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting line weights

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1064 Views, 14 Replies

Plotting line weights

I have searched and none of the solutions other people have used work for me.

I can't get Map3D to plot my line weights. My thick lines come out thin and my grey lines come out so feint I can barely see them.

Line weight of the objects are set to ByLayer and I have checked on Plot with object lineweights but to no avail. The preview and paper space also show thin lines but in model space with LWDISPLAY turned on I can see my line weights.

These are polylines with the line weight specified per layer.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tmccar
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not familiar with Map3D but (assuming it's like standard Autocad for plotting); can you edit the Plot Style table, and set your lineweights there, per color. Then when plotting, tick the option "Plot with plot styles"

Message 3 of 15
pendean

Are you using LWEIGHT command's settings, or do you wish to use a plot style table (and which one, STB or CTB, a dwg file canot be both at the same time)?

Note that PLINEs with a Width setting other than zero will mess up plot output.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I don't understand; from what I can tell when I try LWEIGHT I just get the same settings that I get in properties or in the layer pallete. How is this different?

Message 5 of 15
pendean

So in plotting lineweights you have to pick from ONE of the following methods, no mixing or matching allowed
- CTB plot style table.
- STB plot style table
- PLINE with widths set.
- LWEIGHT settings assigned to layer (and all objects are set to bylayer)
- LWEIGHT setings assigned to each object (not a good way to do things).

Which of these are you emplying in your file? if you are unsure, post the DWG file here and point to the objects not doing what you want.

BTW, MAP forum is way over there http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d/ct-p/72
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

I have no idea how to use 1 and 2, I can't see a width setting on my PLINE properties. But I have set each object to Bylayer as I said in the initial post. The weight I have set in the layers pallette, I assume the same as LWEIGHT?

And how do you know I am not using AutoCAD? I checked, this happens in AutoCAD exactly the same way. I don't get answers in the Map forum and since this is not a Map specific question it does not matter.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: tmccar

tmccar I missed your reply but I really would rather get on with printing what is really a simple diagram with the line weights I set in the layers pallette. Why do thay have that option if it doesn't work? One day when I have the time I will get around to expanding my knowledge to these sorts of things.
Message 8 of 15
skintsubby

Your drawing will be set to print either as "ctb" or "stb". When you plot look at the top right in the dialogue box it will quote either one of these in the "Plot Style Table (pen assignments)"

You need to look into editing the plot styles to see the difference these make, as these can over-write the settings from the layer manager.

PLot capture.PNG

Message 9 of 15
pendean

It may be a specific MAP object type issue since MAP3D creates content and object types not found in plain AutoCAD.

If you are simply using 'dumb' lines and Plines, here is what you do:
- use QSELECT or SELECTSIMILAR commands to select all PLINEs in your file. Now Start PROPERTIES command, and instead of "can't see width settings" you actually set them to zero to ensure they are indeed without a width setting.
- Ensure all your objects LINEWEIGHT settings are BYLAYER (there is a pulldown on the Ribbon in the first tab to ensure that is correct).
- Start LAYER command, go to the line weights column, and select something really huge for a setting for all layers. Like 2.00mm.
- Are they all really thick lines on screen in modelspace? If yes, are they in paperspace? If yes then...
- Start PLOT command, make sure the pop-up is fully expanded, ensure NO plot style table is selected in the top right corner (needs to say NONE), shadeplot is set to 'as displayed", and under Plot Options you have PLOT OBJECT LINEWEIGHTS selected but nothing else in that section. Choose the DWG TO PDF.PC3 plotter and create a PDF. Click APPLY the OK to create the PDF.

The above works fine for me in plain-jane AutoCAD 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016, but I don't have MAP3D or access to it.
Message 10 of 15
skintsubby

Dean

Map 3D works exactly the same as vanilla.

Mark

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Yup I have done all that. I get thin lines. The Plot style option only comes up in the Layout dialogue not the Plot dialogue but other than that, exactly what I have done.

Message 12 of 15
skintsubby

It should be in the plot dialogue as well.... have you expanded the dialogue by hitting the arrow as shown below?

PLot capture.PNG

Message 13 of 15
pendean

Start LWEIGHT command and ensure the box DISPLAY LINEWEIGHT is checked on that pop-up: you an also use the slider to make adjustments.

And that's why I wrote EXPANDED POP-UP for the PLOT command, see screenshot above.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Everything is exactly as it should be. Display lineweight is on. The plot options are all correct.

Message 15 of 15
jmayo-EE

Are you sure your pen file is configured to plot lineweight by object? See the attached. Check th elineweight. This must be USe Object Linetype if you want what is on the screen to plot.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report