Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot style that will make a colored PDF that will plot grayscale on black and white printer

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
clonergan3ZQAG
521 Views, 11 Replies

Plot style that will make a colored PDF that will plot grayscale on black and white printer

So this is an odd one... We use a color dependent plot style to plot items that are color #10 red. We hatch our walls solid red so during presentations they really "stand out" on a screen. When we generate the PDF's, the walls are red, but after sending them to the printer, they plot DARK black which obscures any other objects in the wall (like tags, dimensions, etc.). We don't want to be paying for color printing for all of our sheets.   

So here's what I can't figure out: How do I configure a color dependent plot style to plot in color when ACAD creates a PDF- but when the PDF is printed to a B&W printer the colors come out as a "gray tone"?  

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12

So this is an odd one... We use a color dependent plot style to plot items that are color #10 red. We hatch our walls solid red so during presentations they really "stand out" on a screen. When we generate the PDF's, the walls are red, but after sending them to the printer, they plot DARK black which obscures any other objects in the wall (like tags, dimensions, etc.). We don't want to be paying for color printing for all of our sheets!   

So here's what I can't figure out: How do I configure a color dependent plot style to plot in color when ACAD creates a PDF- but when the PDF is printed to a B&W printer the colors come out as a "gray tone"?

Any ideas?  

Message 3 of 12
pendean
in reply to: clonergan3ZQAG

AutoCAD Plot Style Tables do not apply to/affect images or PDFs attached in DWG files. Sorry.

Your source image needs to already be whatever you want it to be if you do not see an option in PROPERTIES with your PDF selected to turn on MONOCRHOME and has any effect on it (and does not display "gray tones").

Message 4 of 12
clonergan3ZQAG
in reply to: pendean

I'm not understanding what you're saying. I am using AutoCAD to create a PDF- there isn't anything to select in "properties".

I am plotting a PDF of a black and white drawing- only the poche of the walls is red. When this PDF is printed at a black and white printer- I want those walls to plot as light grey instead of solid black.   

Message 5 of 12
cadffm

>>"I'm not understanding what you're saying."

He said: There is nothing you can do for the way you want.

If you create a colored PDF, it is colored,

if you create a monochrome PDF, it is monochrome..

>>"I am plotting a PDF of a black and white drawing- only the poche of the walls is red."

>>"When this PDF is printed at a black and white printer- I want those walls to plot as light grey instead of solid black. "

Check the properties/setting of your paper-printer or search another way you print the PDF to paper.

Ask the support of your paper-printer!?

This is a question of you program you print the PDF from,

and a question of you paper-printer setup.

It isn't a question of AutoCAD or how you created the PDF. 

We understand you, but it isn't an AutoCAD thing.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
pendean

@clonergan3ZQAG wrote:

I want those walls to plot as light grey instead of solid black.   

Sorry for the confusion, that's not quite how I read your post or title: if you cannot get black from your plot style table, then it is either not set correctly for BLACK or your "red" is not assigned correctly to give you that.

Share your plot style table and a DWG sample set up to use it that still exhibits the issue, let's all see your work/assignments for ourselves.

TIA

Message 7 of 12
clonergan3ZQAG
in reply to: pendean

[cid:image001.png@01D849A8.2A20DDC0][cid:image002.png@01D849A8.2A20DDC0]

This presentation is very effective at presenting "new" walls (in red). When it is plotted on a B&W printer though the red comes out as solid black and the columns (you see one next to the window) are no longer visible.
Message 8 of 12

clonergan3ZQAG_0-1649262073269.png

clonergan3ZQAG_1-1649262090239.png

Message 9 of 12
RSomppi

Someone once said to me that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

There is nothing that you  can do to make the red in the PDF print as anything but what you are seeing. You need two different plot settings, one for color presentation and one for B&W PDFs. This is common practice.

Message 10 of 12
pendean

... this is not 'black'.

pendean_0-1649262856181.png

Message 11 of 12

When it comes out of a black and white printer it is black.

Message 12 of 12

What kind of printer do you use? A large format plotter?
AFAIK most of these plotters have the option in the printer settings to print all colors in black only or to translate colors to grayscale.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report