Pattern hatch

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
547 Views, 7 Replies

Pattern hatch

We use AutoCAD LT.

I heard AutoCAD does not use .pat files.  

Is this true?  If so, Is it easier to make custom patterns.  And how about custom line types.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

AutoCAD does use .pat files [a little looking around Help should tell you about it].  I don't use LT, so I can't address whether there are any differences related to hatch patterns or linetypes, but there's a whole AutoCAD LT Forum where people who know will see your question.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 8
pendean

You heard wrong: start AutocAd, start HELP and explore.

LT uses the ACADLT.PAT file for hatches, as well as custom PAT files if you format them correctly and locate them in the LT search paths.
Also,,, ACADLT.LIN file for linetypes, and LIN linetype files if you want to keep your custom linetypes separate.

AutoCAD uses the ACAD.PAT file for hatches, as well as custom PAT files if you format them correctly and locate them in the LT search paths.
Also,,, ACAD.LIN file for linetypes, and LIN linetype files if you want to keep your custom linetypes separate.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for replies, just wish it wasn't text files.  Seems like there should/ could be a graphic converter that could translate back and forth so we could draw a line and add parameters and a plug in or something could figure out what has been drawn and save a text file back based on the graphics.  Tempted to do dynamic block for fenceline because with the standard fenceline line type posts are sporadic and almost uncontrollable as to where they land/ how big they are.  

Patterns are off the charts bad in my opinion.  Every time I do one with the ribbon on, there is lag.  Computer is an AMD Athlon II 640 quad core with 6GB of DDR3 so I'm thinking this shouldn't happen.  Don't want to hear graphic card either.  AutoCAD is software that is industry standard so it should run fine on industry standard machines.  There should be a toggle to run smoother on "lesser" machines if that's a known problem.  Hatches are a known problem. 

I've started to wonder if we can do separate files with a pattern drawn and xref/ clip it to the shape we want.  It seems to work much cleaner.  My coworker doesn't want to create an xref mess he says.  At leas twith this method, objects will snap to the intersection of our ceiling grids (which they do not with hatch command).

Rant over.  Thank you again.

Message 5 of 8
pendean

Tell Autodesk about it at your subscription portal if you have that and here too http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 6 of 8
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

....  At leas twith this method, objects will snap to the intersection of our ceiling grids (which they do not with hatch command).

In older versions of AutoCAD they do.  In newer versions where that may not be the default, read up on the OSOPTIONS System Variable.  You can set it so that you can snap to elements of Hatch patterns [not just intersections, but endpoints, midpoints, perpendicular, etc.].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

thanks Kent.  I have read up on it.  Actually talked to an engineer at Autodesk who is working seemingly frantically trying to get unburied from the mountain of problems that have developed over the years from the method of hatching that Autodesk chooses to use.  I checked that box, or unchecking it as the case may be, and still no snapping to intersections.  

Also scale is a problem for me.  Every time I go to switch anything about the pattern, it lags.  It is slight, but it is a definite lag and fills are pretty much the most powerful graphis tool we have in my opinion and they don't work too well in my opinion.

Also, wish I could make my own tool that was a custom hatch already preset to be at 48 scale and on a certain layer instead of having to shop through all the setting one by one in the ribbon.  My partner is still using the old method as he does not like the ribbon.  I'm trying to be prgressive, but it's hard.

thanks again for response.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

About graphic converters for hatches, you can find such tools but not for AutoCAD LT because they involve programming. I am thinking about HatchMaker for example.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report