Did you mean: 

Ordinate dimensions in a rotated viewport

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Dennis.Meehan
533 Views, 5 Replies

Ordinate dimensions in a rotated viewport

Trying to use ordinate dimensions in a rotated viewport but the dimensions are incorrect. Is there a way to use ordinate dimensions in a rotated viewport. An unrotated viewport and they work fine but if I rotate the view those previously placed dimensions change. Any tips

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Dennis.Meehan

can you share your DWG file here? Explain how to replicate the problem in it.
Message 3 of 6

I would have to get approval to share the drawing. I'd seen a few other comments surrounding this issue and hoped coming here would get closer to a solution. I would prefer to have the dimensions in paperspace but on rotated viewports the ordinate dimension will only provide accurate drawing coordinates when the dimensions are placed in model space through the viewport. It is a coworkers drawing of a site plan that has a user coordinate system. In model space the coordinate locations are good but if a viewport is rotated the ordinate dimensions do not provide the ucs coordinates from model space. I assumed the behavior was typical for rotated viewports and I was missing some option or setup that needs to take place to use them in a rotated viewport? As a workaround these dimensions are getting placed in modelspace. Not ideal but gets the job done...

Message 4 of 6

Ordinate dimension will work just as well in a rotated viewport. 

If your ordinate dimensions are wrong, than your UCS origin has been moved to another location. Keep in mind that your UCS origin must be set to where your 0,0 ordinate dimension is, so that autocad knows ''where to begin''.

If you are detailing multiple ''ordinate'' layouts or parts in 1 drawing, then you will have to move your UCS origin w each new part you detail. 

To move it, type USC, then hit O for origin, and move to the correct location. You'll be good to go.

01.png 

Message 5 of 6

The ordinate dimensions if placed in model space provide the correct coordinates. If placed in paperspace they provide the X or Y coordinate as if the object was rotated and not just the viewport. it is like I need to set an angle for the ordinate dimension but I don't see where to do it.

DennisMeehan_1-1649351545375.png

Message 6 of 6

If you are needing to ordinate at an angle, then rotate your UCS as follows:

Type the following:

USC

(choose the Z axis)

45  (choose the rotation degrees needed)

Enter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report