Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORBIT, OSNAPZ, point clouds

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JoshBretscher
332 Views, 3 Replies

ORBIT, OSNAPZ, point clouds

Is there a way  to force OSNAPZ to be ignored when using the orbit command?  I frequently work with point clouds and draw projections from them using OSNAPZ.  The problem comes when I try to orbit the point cloud while OSNAPZ=1.  The pivot point gets placed in the XY plane of my UCS rather than the point on the point cloud I click.  I can still kinda orbit the point cloud this way, but usually I switch to OSNAPZ=0 because it becomes to difficult to navigate, then back to OSNAPZ=1 when I'm ready to draw.  A similar problem also occurs for me when trying to crop point clouds with OSNAPZ=1, but that is less of inconvenience to me.  The thing I find odd is that if I use the orbit command from the navigation bar (instead of SHIFT + MIDDLE CLICK) it ignores the OSNAPZ=1 and places the pivot point on the point I clicked on the cloud.

-----------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2018 Professional
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
natasha.l
in reply to: JoshBretscher

Hello @JoshBretscher

You can turn off running object snaps temporarily by holding down the F3 key as you work.

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 3 of 4
JoshBretscher
in reply to: natasha.l

I just tried this, and the pivot point still snapped to the XY plane of my UCS when OSNAPZ=1.  Is there a setting I need to have enabled?

-----------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2018 Professional
Message 4 of 4
natasha.l
in reply to: JoshBretscher

Hello @JoshBretscher

Since system variables are involved, I would use the SYSVARMONITOR & check on the Sysvar monitor dialog you can click the “RESET ALL” button to reset all system variables. 

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta