Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open drawings develop asterisk in tab indicating they are unsaved, after save.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dcheung
2856 Views, 5 Replies

Open drawings develop asterisk in tab indicating they are unsaved, after save.

I am curious why AutoCAD 2020 indicates a drawing is unsaved, or changed, or modified through the indicator of an asterisk (*) after the file name, when switching between different open files in the same instance of AutoCAD. If I modify a drawing, or move the view on a layout, I expect that the drawing will report itself as modified, and unsaved. 

So why does it also report the drawing as changed, when I haven't modified anything, or changed the view. This strange behavior happens every time I change between open drawings. I am not referring to the tabs at the bottom of the program, including Model Space and any Paper Space layouts. I am only referring to the tabs at the top of the program, indicating different open files (eg. DWG1.dwg, DWG2.dwg, etc).

Does the act of looking at a file modify it? I would rather not have the software telling me there are unsaved changes when all I am doing is tabbing through my open drawings. Sometimes, basic mouse movements will pull down a drawer when mousing over the tabs, which shows us a visual preview of Model Space, and Paper Spaces. Even this brief, often accidental action, changes the files to be designated as unsaved. This behavior makes it impossible to trust whether something is saved, and encourages saving the file every time you look at a different drawing, even if nothing is changed.

Why does it do this?

How can I change it?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: dcheung

That asterisk method has been glitchy for many versions now, its only mildly reliable.

And yes, if the DBMOD variable is triggered (you have something in your start up that is doing something in the file) the file is considered modified by the program.

if you only spend a god portion of your day just looking inside files files, try a looking-in only solution by DWGTRUEVIEW application.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Yeah - came here looking for an answer on this - I mean, I save, the asterisk goes away, I click to another tab, then click back to the tab I just saved and the asterisk instantly re-appears. So Useful!!!

Message 4 of 6
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Does AutoCAD ask you to save when you close said drawings?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

Hi Rob - it does not. Once I save (dwg, tab A) and the asterisk disappears I can click over to another tab (tab B)(or not, works either way), close tab B and then close tab A without having to save again...however if I as much as pan around in tab A then the asterisk re-appears and I am asked to re-save before closing.

Message 6 of 6
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

By changing the view you have changed the .dwg because the current view gets saved.

The rest of what you have described is "normal" AutoCAD behavior. 

Personally, I've made it a habit to save when I leave a drawing that I'm editing and use the command line for verification of sav before closing. I also don't put much weight on the star icon for the reasons already stated.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report