Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE link is remaining open in the background

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
GillianLHY6CP
1027 Views, 6 Replies

OLE link is remaining open in the background

Me and a coworker are having similar issues with our OLE links. 
When opening a drawing in AutoCAD that has an OLE link in it. AutoCAD will open the OLE link to reference any changes in the Excel. It seems as though the Excel file stays open in the background somehow. If we go to open another drawing linked to the same Excel file, AutoCAD will freeze up and show the attached message saying the file is open. We have found that the only solution to this (without loosing our work) is to go into the task manager and find Microsoft Excel in the Processes and end the Excel task for the processes which will sometimes break the link in the drawing.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it with a permanent solution? 

We have tried:
Uninstalling and reinstalling AutoCAD
Comparing AutoCAD settings to a computer that is not having these issues (nothing is different)

Repairing Microsoft Office Products.

Labels (1)
  • ole
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: GillianLHY6CP

Is the problem limited to the R2022 version? then log into your Accounts page here https://manage.autodesk.com/home/ find the ? icon, and report the problem to Autodesk Support (no one in these forums is that, we are end users just like you).

If not limited to R2022:
Excel version is....? On both machines?
Is Excel 64bit like AutoCAD on both machines? The default install if you did nothing special is 32bit.
Message 3 of 7
GillianLHY6CP
in reply to: pendean

It is happening in AutoCAD 2021 and 2022 I am using the newer version. 
We have Excel 2016 64bit

Message 4 of 7

As of today I will be contacting Autodesk support. This is all the information we have to this day. After working with our IT department for months they were unable to solve this issue.

We have found that when AutoCAD updates the OLE link, the connected excel file is opened as a hidden file. When this happens any other action in AutoCAD that leads to the OLE link updating a popup happens and if it isn't dealt with quickly enough the program will crash. A picture of this snapshot was included with the original post.

To create the OLE link we used the process of copying the file to the clipboard using ctrl-c and in AutoCAD using the pastespecial command. 

We have found that when we insert the OLE link using the insert tab - OLE object, this popup still occurs, but less often.  

Message 5 of 7
tleachGYBXX
in reply to: GillianLHY6CP

@GillianLHY6CP Were you able to get this issue resolved? If so, what was the resolution? I also have an employee that's having the exact same issue.

Message 6 of 7
Brocn
in reply to: tleachGYBXX

^BUMP

same issues with my team, any answers, really not trying to revert back to spanning excel files in.

Message 7 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Brocn

@Brocn wrote:

^BUMP

same issues with my team, any answers, really not trying to revert back to spanning excel files in.

Keep in mind we are all end users just like you around here... Only Autodesk and Microsoft can deal with this type of error that the OP posted if you truly are 100% identical with this issue

pendean_0-1701458451455.png

Here is how to open a support case with Autodesk if you are on subscription to seek out Autodesk Support's help:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-find-my-sup...

and with Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/contact-microsoft-office-support-fd6bb40e-75b7-6f43-d6f9-c...

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report