Did you mean: 

null structure

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3103 Views, 13 Replies

null structure

how do you create a non-plot null structure and PLEASE do say it is in the sytles.

a simple step by step would solve hours of headaches for all.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
lim.wendy
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

If you are referring to Civil3D null structure, someone posted a brilliant idea here.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: lim.wendy

ok, let me try again ... . .. 

if i change my null-structure "style" (i really hate that word) to layer Z or whatever; ALL of my pipe structures change to that layer.

what i am asking is HOW do i change ONE structure WITHOUT changing all the structure styles at the same time?

i am sure someone on the planet has written a solution, i can not ask the question correctly to find that solution.

Message 4 of 14
lim.wendy

Hi there... 

If you scroll down to emelendez's post, below was the suggestion and I am in sync with him as well... It should work...

So if I understand this thread correctly you the following is an outline of what you are trying to accomplish:

A. use civil 3D DYNAMIC pipes and structures.

B. use NON-DYNAMIC symbols that are MANUALLY placed for your structures

C. avoid having to create a structure style for each type of structure you use

D. get the civil 3D Structures to not plot while getting the MANUALLY placed blocks to plot.

Is that correct? If so, please see the the CAD file you posted that I revised.

I was able to get ALL of the above issues addressed. The steps I took are as such:

1. create a block called "_no display strc" that has all it's linework on defpoints layer

2. set the plan view display of the structure style to use a USER DEFINED block (see step 1)

3. manually placed a block over the civil 3D created structure.

Please take note that the actual civil 3D structure IS on layer "0" but since the linework of the block used for the civil 3D style is on defpoints, it will NEVER plot. As for the "overlap" of the pipe under the structure, this can be handled by adding a mask to the definition of the manually placed blocks. If you do this, it will mask the civil 3D block under it also. That is why I did not do it in the file.

My reccommendation to you if I may. Take the time to create ALL the styles you need for all the types of structures you use. Then all you need to do to get them to display differently is change what style the structure is using. Remember, just because you create a structure style, doesn't mean you have to add it to the parts list. you can use one generic part for all your structures then change the style each one uses. This method will save you the time of having to go back and MANUALLY place all your structures.

Wendy Lim

Customer Value Hub

Message 5 of 14
C3D_TomR

Create a block with all contents on a non-plotting layer then it won't matter on what layer the structure is created. I've attached a drawing with an example no plot structure style in it. You can review the style settings as well as the block contents. The style places the structure contents on non-plotting layers and the block contains objects on non-plotting layers too.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: C3D_TomR

thank you for a solution,

i still have not learned anything. and yes i am being stuborn.

now i would really like to know how it is created?

i have all the parts styles for inlets, manholes (multiple sizes) and junction boxes (multiple sizes) and a null structure.

all the styles are on ONE layer, ok?

so how do i change the null structure style to another layer, without all my other parts going there too?

i am sure it can be done, just how?

i am out of methods of how to ask this question.

i thought this would be simple. wow, was i dumb

Message 7 of 14
C3D_TomR

Create a separate style for the null (non-plotting) structure. Set the layer in that style to a non-plotting layer.

NoPlotStyleDisplay.png

NoPlotStyleLayer.png

Tom Richardson

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Twitter | LinkedIn

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 14
lim.wendy

Tom's dwg/template did the trick. 

To plot all structures on non-plot

http://autode.sk/1zHfTAo

To plot null structure on non-plot

http://autode.sk/1AJ1fni

Wendy Lim

Customer Value Hub

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I was wondering - approaching this as a general IT person - since the proposed solutions do not produce the expected or desired results for this particular installation - is it possible that something in your configuration and installation is incorrect that could result in this behavior?

just a thought...

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Shouldn't the site Cad Manager have already set the needed styles up so that this doesnt have to be solved by individual users?

Message 11 of 14
C3D_TomR

@Anonymous wrote:

Shouldn't the site Cad Manager have already set the needed styles up so that this doesnt have to be solved by individual users?

Not all companies have CAD Managers and not all CAD Managers know Civil 3D well enough to create and/or maintain templates.

Tom Richardson

EESignature
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 12 of 14
C3D_TomR

When working in Civil 3D, blocks that contain elements on Layer 0 but are put on layers that shouldn't plot sometimes don't act as expected, meaning they plot when you think they shouldn't. That's why I took the Layer 0 inconsistencies out of the equation by creating a block with elements that are on a non-plotting layer. Add to that placing the block on the same non-plotting layer in the style and as long as the non-plotting layer is actually setup as non-plotting, I don't have issues with structures plotting that shouldn't.

Tom Richardson

EESignature
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: C3D_TomR

WOW!!!!
Now that I have finally pulled the tusk off an elephant. . . ..
You have started to understand my question.

Thank you

Charles A. Hall
Civil Designer
Message 14 of 14
santek1

@C3D_TomR a big thank you for taking the time to capture all the details and images.  We've found this so useful and with your help have created an article which is now posted to Autodesk Knowledge Network.  The article can be found at this link How to create a non-plotting null structure (Civil 3D)

Thank you!

Katinka Sante
Community Customer Advocacy Sr. Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report