Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTEXT Editor Text Color while in a Layout

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Cadguru42
1435 Views, 7 Replies

MTEXT Editor Text Color while in a Layout

Is there a way for the MTEXT Editor to keep the color of the text as the pen settings dictate as opposed to changing to the layer color? For example, many jurisdictions use yellow or green for text layer color. While working in a layout (with Display plot style checked) and editing an MTEXT object the color of the text reverts to the layer color instead of the color of pen settings (in this case black). When out of the MTEXT editor the text looks fine as black on a white background, but when the MTEXT editor is open the text turns to yellow while editing. It makes it hard to see what the text is supposed to be. 

Basically, I'm asking if there is a way to make the MTEXT Editor use the color(s) of the plot style when in a layout? I've been living with this for many, many years and finally thought to ask if anyone else knows a way. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Cadguru42

>>>...I've been living with this for many, many year...<<<
All objects when set to BYLAYER do that: if you don't want that, change the color of these objects to something more specific (PROPERTIES will let you set BY PLOT STYLE for example). Give it a try, it's been there for more years than you've used the program.

If you'd like to automate it, the LISP forum is over here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/bd-p/130

Unless you have a specific C3D issue, in which case you are in the wrong forum, C3D is over here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d/ct-p/4003
Message 3 of 8
Cadguru42
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
>>>...I've been living with this for many, many year...<<<
All objects when set to BYLAYER do that: if you don't want that, change the color of these objects to something more specific (PROPERTIES will let you set BY PLOT STYLE for example). Give it a try, it's been there for more years than you've used the program.

If you'd like to automate it, the LISP forum is over here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/bd-p/130

Unless you have a specific C3D issue, in which case you are in the wrong forum, C3D is over here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d/ct-p/4003

You have no idea how long I've been using the program. I even used AutoCAD on an Epson QX-10. I think it was version 2 something, so don't make snide remarks about things you don't know. 

As to what I'm asking for, you're wanting me to change the properties of the object. I want to see if there's a setting for the MTEXT Editor that will keep the display looking the same as when not in the editor. If I wanted to change the object color then I wouldn't even be asking. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 8
imadHabash

Hi,

if you right click in your mtext editor while you're in layout then select Editor Settings then untick Show background !!

is that good enough for your issue ? 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Cadguru42
in reply to: imadHabash

@imadHabash wrote:

Hi,

if you right click in your mtext editor while you're in layout then select Editor Settings then untick Show background !!

is that good enough for your issue ? 

I tried that, but it's not the background that's the issue. Our plot styles are mostly monochrome (or have grayscale), so text that's yellow or green plots black. I usually keep the Display plot styles turned on so that I can see how the sheet will plot. It's when editing MTEXT that it becomes an issue because the black text as shown in the layout becomes yellow or green while in the MTEXT editor because the editor displays the text color as the layer color. It makes it impossible to read the yellow and green is tough when the background is also a light color. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 8
RobDraw

So, temporarily turn off Display Plot Styles while editing text.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 8
pendean

>>>...want to see if there's a setting for the MTEXT Editor...<<<
Nope.

>>>...when editing... the black text as shown in the layout becomes yellow or green while in the MTEXT editor...<<<
That's how MTEXT has always worked: if you'd like to take the time to notify Autodesk about your desires, and about 100,000 other users do the same, it might change at some point. Do so here https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

>>>...impossible to read the yellow and green is tough when the background is also a light color...<<<
Change your background color is another option to consider.

HTH
Message 8 of 8
Cadguru42
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw wrote:

So, temporarily turn off Display Plot Styles while editing text.

That wouldn't work because the MTEXT Editor is already turning off the display plot styles.....

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report